Student Psychological Counselor (Two Positions)
The Counseling Center at BMCC helps students realize their educational, career and personal goals. The Center is staffed with experienced licensed psychologists, mental health counselors and social workers, who not only work toward reducing the interference of everyday stress on goals and academic success, but who do so with a respect for multicultural issues. The Counseling Center is devoted to helping students succeed.
The Student Psychological Counselor will report to the Director of the Counseling Center and perform the following duties:
- Develop and conduct workshops and seminars for social and academic issues.
- Interpret educational and psychological assessments for academic, personal, and short term psychological counseling.
- May coordinate academic counseling and academic warning process.
- May provide case management and coordinate the student referral process.
- Participate in campus-wide retention and persistence outreach and activities.
- Participate in college wide events such as orientations, outreach, retention initiatives, and psycho-educational workshops.
- Participate in professional development to stay up to date with current issues.
- Prepare case reports and make recommendations for further action and/or referral.
- Provide assistance with major college-wide events such as commencement, orientation, registration and honors convocation.
- Serve as a consultant to campus colleagues for students' academic and behavioral cases.
- Train and supervise graduate interns/externs working in the Counseling Center.
- Work location of assignments will vary depending upon the needs of the department.
Some evening/weekend hours are required.
A Doctoral degree in Psychology to include Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs (OR) a Master's degree in an appropriate discipline for person or psychological counseling and a New York State license as a mental health practitioner (social work, psychology, or mental health counseling).
In addition, six years' professional experience is required for all candidates.
The preferred candidate will have:
- A Doctoral degree in Psychology, Counseling or Social Work.
- A current, valid New York State license as a mental health practitioner (LCSW, or PSY).
- Experience in a college or university counseling setting.
- Experience with bilingual student populations.
- A minimum of two-years experience post-licensure.
- Experience with short-term, brief, and/or solution-focused interventions.
- Training in DBT or trauma informed treatment.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides student counseling services as a member of a team.
- Provides psychological counseling to individuals and groups of students
- Performs crisis intervention for emergency situations
- Performs intake and assessment for personal counseling services
- Consults with instructional and administrative staff regarding student mental health issues; may prepare and present outreach initiatives and workshops
- Participates in recommending improvements that will impact the counseling center's effectiveness
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Psychological Counselor
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary $60,487 - $96,185
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
February 14, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Job Title: Student Psychological Counselor (Two Positions)
Job ID: 16218
Full/Part Time: Full-Time