Financial Aid Advisor
The mission of Financial Aid is to provide professional services to students that will remove financial barriers and empower them to meet their educational goals. Through the strict adherence of federal, state and city requirements, the Office of Financial Aid at Hostos incorporates best practices for the field provided by national, regional and state associations to nurture a supportive structure resulting in the timely delivery of student aid funds.
The Office of Financial Aid staff is committed to help students understand the various financial aid programs that are available, and to work with those who face significant financial difficulties during their career at Hostos. In addition, we strive to deliver high quality services with professional competency and concern. We are dedicated to the equitable treatment of all applicants and the privacy of confidential information.
Financial Aid counseling is available on an individual basis, by appointment, and via group workshops conducted throughout the academic year. Staff provide assistance in the on-line filing of financial aid forms and monitoring of student records to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements.
The Office of Financial Aid is seeking a Financial Aid Advisor. Reporting directly to the Financial Aid Director, the successful candidate will be responsible but not limited to the following:
- Assists in the coordination of freshmen services to follow-up with all Financial Aid processes.
- Serves as Service Area Coordinator with the intake processes.
- Perform Title IV verification to determine eligibility for federal student aid and accuracy of reported
information to the Department of Education.
- Notify students of missing information or documentation related to verification.
- Originate federal direct student loans.
- Respond to financial aid inquiries via email, telephone, and in-person in a timely fashion.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- Experience with CUNYfirst system running and writing Financial Aid queries
- Experience with high level of customer service
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Counsels applicants and students on eligibility for financial aid programs, assisting them in the application process.
- Verifies eligibility for Federal and State financial aid programs including grants, scholarships, and guaranteed student loans
- Performs application intake, evaluation, processing and awarding
- Assists in the production of Financial Aid online, print material, and websites
- Advises students on good academic standing requirements and the appeal process; reviews appeals for dependency overrides and budget adjustments
- Conducts group workshops and represents the financial aid office at various on- and off- campus events
- Serves as a liaison between the college office and Direct Loan Providers
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$38,407 - $41,623
$41,780 - $45,278 - Salary subject to the new contract implementation
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Postings"
Please attach resume, cover letter and three professional references.
February 4, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor
Job ID: 16112
Full/Part Time: Full-Time