Academic ASAP Student Advisor (Multiple Positions)
Queensborough Community College seeks an experienced individual who is able to work as part of a successful team of professionals serving a diverse student population in an urban setting. The ideal candidate will provide a supportive environment and ensure that strong relationships are fostered with the college community. Reporting to the ASAP Associate Director, the ASAP Academic Student Advisor will perform the duties listed in the CUNY Title Overview as well as the following:
- Provide academic and personal support to guide students through the decision making and course selection process at QCC.
- Help students clarify their values and goals. Advise students regarding majors and related career choices.
- Provide students with accurate information about educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Assist students in a continual monitoring and evaluating of their educational progress by conducting academic audits; train students in use of Degree Works.
- Participate in recruitment activities. Provide reports detailing recruitment efforts and results.
- Assist with the development of workshops and special projects.
- Work with advisors to present workshops and ASAP seminars.
- Maintain tracking of academic success to monitor student progress towards graduation
- Evening and weekend hours may be required
Position start date: May 1, 2017
Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in an appropriate discipline and four years related experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of the needs and challenges facing students from diverse urban backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, within the department and with faculty and other administrators
- Strong organization, project management, communication, and facilitation skills
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records of student activities
- Computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office (Access and Excel); and aptitude to learn new systems as needed.
- Experience with academic advisement and student tracking
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekend
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
ASAP helps students earn their college degree as quickly as possible, by removing the financial, academic, and personal obstacles that many students confront. Key ASAP program features include a consolidated block schedule, cohorts by major, required full-time study and comprehensive advisement and career development services. Financial incentives include tuition waivers for financial aid eligible students, yearly textbook vouchers, and monthly MetroCards for all students. Further information is available at www.cuny.edu/ASAP.
The ASAP Advisor is a member of an integrated College team providing individual academic, career and related support to an assigned group of college students as they progress through the program.
- Delivers comprehensive advisement support services to an assigned group of students through degree completion
- Conducts workshops and group advisement on topics of relevance and interest
- Reviews student progress and tracks student use of academic support services
- Conducts regular outreach to faculty and other college staff as needed to support student success
- Maintains accurate tracking data and notes for each assigned student, recommending appropriate referrals and opportunity programs
- Supports annual recruitment of students
- Organizes periodic special events and programs for students, faculty and staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $46,640- $62,677 ($47,340 - $63,617)
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Salary may be subject to contract implementation
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter in order to be considered.
February 26, 2017. Review of resumes to begin February 9, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queensborough CC
Job Title: Academic ASAP Student Advisor (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16246
Full/Part Time: Full-Time