Assistant Professor - Bilingual Education (Curriculum & Teaching)
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The School of Education of Hunter College - CUNY invites applications for the tenure-track position in the Department of Curriculum & Teaching at the rank of Assistant Professor in Bilingual Education (BILED), effective September 1, 2017. We are especially interested in applications from individuals who are members of groups that have been and still are underrepresented in university faculty positions. The college places a high priority on teaching excellence and research with an expectation that the candidate will also be active in their professional field.
The successful candidate will:
- Teach in all modalities (in-person, online, and hybrid) and at all levels in areas of expertise and department curricular need.
- Establish a productive research agenda informing the field of bilingual education, seek external funding, and contribute to the national and local discourse and scholarship around bilingual education.
- Assume progressive responsibility for the bilingual education programs in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching and assume a significant leadership role including the recruiting, advising, and mentoring of graduate students at the masters and doctoral levels.
- Perform service as appropriate to the department, college, university, profession, and community.
- Earned doctorate in Bilingual Education, TESOL, Language Education, Educational Linguistics, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Child Education and Development, or closely related field
- Previous higher education teaching experience
- Demonstrated success or potential for strong productivity in research, grant writing and scholarship with a focus on bilingual students.
- 3 years teaching experience with underserved populations in grades pre-K-6
- Certification as a bilingual teacher and experience teaching literacy to emergent bilinguals.
- Strong academic proficiency in Spanish.
- Successful university level teaching, pre-service teaching supervision experience and expertise
- Interest in technology and online learning.
- Grant writing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to connect the knowledge specific to bilingual education in working with communities and families of bilingual students.
- Experience in program development, consultation, and/or administration of bilingual programs in pre-K-12 public schools
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others in order to support academic programs in the college as well as faculty teaching and research interests.
CUNY offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to its faculty, covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Assistant Professor: $42,873 - $74,133 ($47,340 - $81,855)*
*Salary subject to the new contract implementation.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin January 23, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: Assistant Professor - Bilingual Education (Curriculum & Teaching)
Job ID: 16068
Full/Part Time: Full-Time