Associate or Full Professor/Deputy Director - CUNY Institute for Implementation Science Research in
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Performs teaching, research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy (GSPHHP) seeks to provide a collaborative and accessible environment for excellence in education, research, and service in public health, to promote and sustain healthier populations in NYC and around the world, and to shape policy and practice in public health for all. The School offers a range of innovative master's and doctoral degree programs and is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
The central mission of the CUNY Institute for Implementation Science Research in Population Health (ISRPH) is to translate research into sustainable, cost-effective population-level interventions, strategies, initiatives, and policies with the potential to improve health and reduce health disparities at scale around the world. We do this by understanding biological mechanisms, subtypes and major drivers of disease, identifying program/service/policy implementation gaps driving suboptimal health outcomes at the population level, and by designing and conducting rigorous experimental and observational studies of the impact of strategies aimed at improving population health outcomes. We rigorously assess the effectiveness of these strategies when implemented at scale. Given that many forces shape population health, including those outside the health sector (e.g., political, economic, sociologic, environmental, demographic), we seek and generate knowledge, collaboration and expertise to achieve our mission of improved population health through better implementation.
The overarching goal of the Institute is to conduct large-scale research studies on population health and on intervention implementation in real world settings (i.e., outside the research environment). We engage in, foster, and leverage multidisciplinary collaborations across different health outcomes and disease types with public sector agencies, health care organizations, clinical researchers, community-based organizations, policy makers and other institutions. Our primary goals are:
- To apply rigorous scientific methods to assess the effectiveness and impact of interventions, strategies, initiatives, and policies aimed at improving population health around the world.
- To conduct research that describes population health outcomes and improves the understanding of the factors that can shape/influence them through better implementation.
- To create, support, and leverage successful multi-disciplinary partnerships across all of CUNY's colleges, professional schools, and institutes for cutting edge and impactful research collaborations at the intersection of implementation science and population health.
- To provide hands-on research training for masters/doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows and host visiting scholars at the intersection of implementation science and population health.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Incorporate existing and new research into the research portfolio of the Institute;
- Strategically augment and grow the research portfolio of the Institute;
- Work closely with the Director and Associate Director on strategic planning, furthering the Institute's mission and achieving its goals;
- Assist with the day to day and long-term administration of the ISRPH, including but not limited to providing leadership in support of planned grant submissions, planning seminars, leading key projects of strategic importance to the future success of the Institute;
- Execute and grow a substantial externally funded research portfolio in the Institute, and fostering collaboration with and among Institute investigators, Institute-affiliated investigators and other collaborators;
- Mentor Institute faculty, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars, and students, and help develop their research portfolio;
- Serve on ISRPH Grant Review Teams, providing both grantsmanship and technical critiques;
- Represent the Institute within the GSPHHP, throughout CUNY, and outside of CUNY, including among collaborators, CUNY administrators, and funders;
- Teach at least one course per year, advising students and serving on committees in the GSPHH; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
For Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor:
Ph.D. degree in area(s) of experience or equivalent (Ph.D., Dr.PH, Sc.D). Also required are the ability to teach successfully, demonstrated scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
Master's degree in area(s) of expertise, and/or active progress toward a Doctorate, or equivalent. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, interest in productive scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Ph.D, Dr.PH, or Sc.D in a field related to population health.
- At least 10 years of relevant public health experience, including research experience, either in programmatic, governmental, or academic settings.
- Extensive and successful track record of externally funded research in implementation science.
- Experience overseeing or conducting research in programmatic/service delivery settings.
- Experience working with and research using surveillance data, particularly surveillance from municipal, state, or federal levels.
- Successful track record and experience collaborating with public sector entities on large-scale research projects.
- Administrative experience, including experience supervising and leading teams in co-located and disparate locations.
- Experience with primary data collection.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a CV/resume, statement of scholarly interests, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on August 2, 2016
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: CUNY School of Public Health
Job Title: Associate or Full Professor/Deputy Director - CUNY Institute for Implementation Science Research in Population Health - Graduate School of Public Health & Health Policy
Job ID: 15077