CEEDS Student Success Specialist (Academic Program Specialist)
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
CEEDS (Cadet Education, Empowerment & Development for Success) is a collaborative program between John Jay College and the New York City Department of Correction to create a career pipeline from the City University of New York to the leadership ranks of the New York City Department of Correction. Through academic course work, professional development workshops, and internship and work experiences in corrections, CEEDS provides student cadets with strong educational and practical backgrounds in critical issues facing the field of corrections. Utilizing the CUNY Justice Academy (CJA), a dual enrollment program for students at six CUNY community colleges and John Jay College, this partnership reaches across New York City's five boroughs.
Reporting to the Associate Director for DOC Partnerships, the CEEDS Student Success Specialist will be responsible for providing year-round program and student support for up to 150 undergraduates in the CEEDS program. The successful candidate will:
- Advise CEEDS students on academic and professional requirements of the program and monitor their progress toward completion;
- Collaborate with the Academic Advisement Center and faculty major coordinators to develop and implement group and/or individual advisement and registration sessions for CEEDS students each semester;
- Develop academic plans and advisement materials;
- Maintain and update CEEDS website and program materials;
- Maintain records of student progress and provide reports as needed;
- Participate in the implementation of comprehensive success programming and cohort support for CEEDS students under the direction of the Associate Director for DOC Partnerships;
- Serve as information resource on CEEDS policies and procedures for students, faculty, and staff at John Jay College and CUNY Justice Academy partner campuses;
- Update CEEDS recruitment materials and participate in recruitment events;
- Work with the CJA staff both at John Jay College and on the partner campuses to identify eligible students and ensure their transition to and registration at John Jay College; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
We are looking for a team player with a background in advisement or career counseling, who is familiar with the field of criminal justice/corrections. Strong preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Master's degree in higher education administration, counseling, criminal justice, or related field preferred;
- Two or more years working directly with undergraduate students in an academic setting;
- A professional background in academic advising;
- Academic advising experience at an urban commuter campus;
- Knowledge of criminal justice/corrections programs or careers; and
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational; and communication skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Participates in the daily coordination of academic and administrative activities of a College's specialized academic program under management direction.
- Supports program development, student service delivery, outcome evaluation and instructor/student recruitment, enrollment, and retention.
- Recommends, implements and evaluates strategies to expand program offerings
- Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
- Develops and maintains relationships with various College offices to improve student and faculty services
- Serves as resource expert regarding program policies and procedures
- Oversees office recordkeeping; manages updates of program web and print materials
- May supervise office operations and/or department budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Program Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$55,782 - $64,056
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Posting closes February 10, 2017. Resumes to be reviewed January 24, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: CEEDS Student Success Specialist (Academic Program Specialist)
Job ID: 16199