Assistant Technical Supervisor (Performing Arts Theatre Specialist)
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor, the Assistant Technical Supervisor is responsible for advance planning for both internal and external clients in the Gerald W. Lynch Theater and related venues on campus.
In conjunction with the Title Overview below, the Position Details for the Assistant Technical Supervisor shall be to:
- Assist with student productions in the Gerard W. Lynch Theater and related venues.
- Directly supervises IATSE crews in the Gerard W. Lynch Theater and related venues
- In the absence of the Technical Supervisor, supervise the House technical crew and over hire stagehands.
- Manage and execute events in the Gerald W. Lynch Theater and related venues.
- Occasionally serve as a stage manager for small events.
- Oversees safety practices for all crew activities.
- Provide departmental human resources support for crew including processing payroll and on-boarding of new crew member.
- Provide support and planning for on-going maintenance and upgrading of facilities.
- Serve as a client contact for scheduling and staffing of technical personnel in advance of and during events.
Work on the weekends, evenings and holidays will be required.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers Bachelors and Masters degrees and participates in Doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth President, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theater, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Ability to read and generate theatrical drawings.
- Capable of being very organized and helping to organize others.
- General technical theater knowledge.
- Proven capacity for completing self-directed learning.
- Proven excellence in management of theatrical and/or special events. This can include stage or production management technical direction or other organizational middle management positions.
- Proven proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook and Google Drive as well as the use of Windows operating system computers.
- Strong customer service skills when working with clients with varying levels of experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers performing arts center programs, as well as productions in other College venues throughout the year.
- Assists management in program planning and goal-setting
- Participates in building relationships between the center and external community and arts organizations
- Collaborates with College academic and administrative departments to assure successful programs
- Trains and supervise center staff
- Assists with routine administration such as booking, scheduling, and maintenance of systems and equipment
- Plans, prepares, and implements center-wide marketing plans
- Coordinates efforts with technical personnel on designing and building of productions
- Performs related duties as assigned. .
Job Title Name: Performing Arts Theatre Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation: $48,466 - $57,690
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
March 10, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Assistant Technical Supervisor (Performing Arts Theatre Specialist)
Job ID: 16238
Full/Part Time: Full-Time