Extension Educator, Extension Educator - Farm Management - Southwest MI
Michigan State University has been working to advance the common good with uncommon will for more than 150 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU focuses its vast resources and collaborative power on creating solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges, while providing life-changing opportunities to a vibrant and diverse community of students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.
Posting Number: 4835
Internal Posting Date: 01-30-2017
Internal Closing Date: 03-30-2017
External Closing Date: 03-30-2017
Review of Applications begins on:
Job Title: Extension Educator
Multiple Position Numbers:
Multiple Position Numbers:
Major Administrative Unit/College: Michigan State University Extension
Primary Department: 10058940 EXTENSION AGRICULTURE AND AGRIBUSINESS
Position Employee Group: Fixed Term Academic Staff-FAS
Appointment Basis: Annual Year, 12 months
Appointment Status: Fixed Term Academic Staff
Employment %: 100
Varied Work Hours (if applicable):
Limited Term/Flexible Appointment/Off-Date Information:
Faculty: Salary Range Support Staff: Pay Minimum
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
Pay Grade Level:
Position Summary: As part of Michigan State University Extension (MSUE) and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, this position will provide local as well as statewide leadership and educational programming expertise in Farm Management with emphasis on whole-farm business analysis. The successful applicant will work with farmers and agribusiness in local areas as well as across Michigan. This position is located in some of Michigan's most intensive and diverse agricultural locations. This position will collaborate across work teams, Institutes and commodity groups, and work with faculty, specialists and educators for overall advancement of Michigan agricultural industries. This position will be the regional point-of-contact for Southwest Michigan leadership/educational programming expertise in farm management with an emphasis on farm business economic and financial analysis, business transition, income tax education, and general farm business management topics such economics of technologies and return on investment. The applicant will design, implement and evaluate educational programming, that is research based, address the needs of clientele groups; ensure dissemination of research-based information through various methods including multi-media, in-person education, social media, use of distance education technologies, written articles, bulletins, etc. The successful candidate will provide learning experiences/information for farmers and agri-business professionals that will contribute to enhancing profitable agricultural products, contribute to short and long-term viability of farms, and the economic well-being of Michigan residents, and serve as an informational resource for Extension personnel.
* Develop, conduct and evaluate innovative educational programs that meet current and projected needs;
* Communicate and interact with farm and agribusiness groups to evaluate the needs of clientele;
* Work with farms and agribusiness on enterprise economic and financial evaluation to develop and maintain enterprise budget information, farm-based analysis and contribute to economic intelligence gathering, farm succession and business transition and agricultural tax management educational programming;
* Work within the Farm Management program to deliver whole farm benchmarking and cost/return information of statewide programming;
* Regularly complete farm-based analysis and contribute to economic intelligence gathering about Michigan agriculture (i.e. farm financial analysis);
* Review and assess research and policies as it pertains to farm business management in Michigan;
* Serve as an information resource to clientele, partners and Extension staff;
* Collaborate with MSUE staff to conduct and evaluate programming efforts;
* In concert with the MSUE work team(s), work with federal, state and county agencies to complete needs assessment of the community and develop effective programming;
* Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational articles;
* Develop and utilize appropriate media methods to communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities;
* Actively participate in professional development opportunities;
* Gather and report programming outputs and impacts, to demonstrate program effectiveness and to guide future program priorities for MSUE, the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute and the work group aligned with;
* Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan's diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Create and promote positive public relations for MSUE at local, state and national levels;
* Understand and implement Civil Rights policies and procedures.
Faculty: Minimum Qualifications Support Staff: Minimum Requirements * Master's degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to farm business management preferred; candidates with a Bachelor's degree in field of study related to farm business management and associated experience considered with expectation that the selected candidate will complete a Master's degree within a specified time frame as discussed with hiring manager prior to employment;
* Knowledge of farm financial statements; agricultural tax regulation, cash accounting and associated software;
* Knowledge of general farming practices related to livestock and crop production;
* 3-years' experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred);
* Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from research of initial concept to project completion and follow-up;
* Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs;
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
* Experience and proven ability working productively with a team;
* Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management;
* Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Ability to regularly travel within the assigned area and surrounding communities, as well as occasional statewide travel in order to perform duties of this position.
* Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
* Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
* Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
Typing Requirements (wpm):
Desired Qualifications: * Familiarity with agricultural accounting and analysis software and tools.
Summary of Health Risks and Physical Demands (if applicable):
Required Applicant Documents: Resume/CV
Optional Applicant Documents: Resume/CV
Other Document 2
Other Document 3
Number of Reference Letters Required: No letters required
Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants should include the names and contact information (including email addresses) of four professional references with the cover letter.
This position is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually.
For full consideration applicant materials should be submitted by March 30, 2017.
Department Website Address:
Name/Title/Email Address of Search Committee Chair:
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
If flexible appointment, indicate end date of annual flex leave:
If flex, number of months worked per year:
Web Address for Posting: jobs.msu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=69836
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.