Senior Research Scientist
The Community College Research Center at the Institute on Education and the Economy at Teachers College, Columbia University is accepting applications for the position of Senior Research Scientist to manage a suite of multi-year, grant-funded projects.
The CCRC Senior Research Scientist has responsibility for overseeing ongoing research and research staff, including designing, implementing, and leading multiple research studies as part of CCRC's portfolio of foundation- and government-funded projects and communicating research findings and policy implications to academics, funders, policymakers, and the press. In addition, the Senior Researcher serves as a public face of CCRC, serving as a national "thought leader" while representing CCRC in the higher education and academic sectors and cultivating funder relationships.
For more information on CCRC's current research activities, see our website at ccrc.tc.columbia.edu. This full-time position is based in New York City, and requires travel.
To Apply: Application must include a letter of intent, a CV, and two academic writing samples.
- Work with the Director and Center's leadership teams to coordinate existing research projects and strategically plan for the development of new studies and research strands.
- Seek out and build relationships with federal and private funders, and write proposals to secure funding for research projects.
- Design, lead, and manage large multi-year and multi-institutional research projects and manage research teams to carry out high-profile studies.
- Lead publication of research findings in multiple formats (electronic media, academic journals and articles, reports, and briefs for researchers, community college practitioners, policymakers, and the general public).
- Collaborate with leadership on continuously developing and executing strategies for raising the Center's profile and visibility as a whole and to key audiences including policymakers at the federal and state levels, researchers, policy influencers, higher education practitioners, foundations, and the media.
- Prepare and deliver presentations on research findings for academic and practitioner audiences.
- Respond to media requests concerning postsecondary research.
- Ph.D. in education, sociology, economics, or a related field
- 8 years of experience in leading, managing, and conducting research in higher education, with extensive experience in research design and analysis
- A minimum of five years of experience in writing grant proposals and securing funding
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and public speaking facility
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple grant- and contract-funded projects (budget, personnel, deadlines)
- A minimum of 8 years of experience supervising the work of other research professionals
- Recognized expert in community colleges, higher education, or other related field
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative and productive relationships among external organizations and funders
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multifaceted team
- Ability to travel broadly and represent Director and Center
Apply for Senior Research Scientist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly