Disability Services Coordinator, Assistant Director
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
Under the supervision of the Director of the Learning Enrichment Center (LEC), the Disability Services Coordinator, Assistant Director of the Learning Enrichment Center (LEC) will coordinate accommodations and support for students with disabilities. The Disability Services Coordinator arranges academic accommodations for students with disabilities and provides consultations with faculty, staff, and parents when needed. The Disability Services Coordinator also assists the director with promoting a welcoming college environment and facilitating equal opportunity for students with disabilities in their academic courses, campus services, and all student programs and activities.
* Master’s degree (doctorate preferred) in Education, Special Education, Psychology, or a relevant field associated with higher education.
* Knowledge and understanding of civil rights laws, particularly ADAAA and Section 504.
* Possession of one or more of the following are desirable but not required:
-Comprehensive Skills Certificate or an Oral Interpreting Certificate
-California Coalition of Agencies Serving the Deaf (CAD)
* Three to five years of experience in higher education or with students in an educational setting and in provision of academic support services to students.
* Knowledge of learning assistance operations and techniques, learning evaluation and assessment, and data analysis.
* Demonstrates multicultural awareness and competence, and has the ability to work in a diverse environment and serve constituents from a wide variety of backgrounds.
* University teaching experience is also desirable. Demonstrates a commitment to student success.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Collaborates with the director in the development of policy and procedure regarding academic services to students with disabilities.
* Completes intake and disability verification process for students with disabilities and negotiates accommodations with students. This includes determining whether a student qualifies for disability accommodations, determining specific accommodations for academic, housing, and other student campus needs at all university sites, assisting students as needed in securing reasonable accommodations at clinical or internship facilities, communicating accommodations to pertinent faculty and staff, monitoring delivery of accommodations, and proctoring exams, as needed.
* Maintains records and statistics on disability services including maintenance of verification records and correspondence of students requesting or receiving academic accommodations. Also, interacts with students, parents, and faculty in the resolution of conflicts regarding accommodations.
* Serves as the contact person in securing and providing oversight to sign-language interpreters, real-time captioners, and oral interpreters as independent contractors for services to students with disabilities.
* Maintains currency on theory and trends on disability related issues including legal developments and technology for equal access.
* Adheres to standards of confidentiality and FERPA when working with students, parents, faculty, and staff.
* Provides flexible, responsive and high quality service to the university community and continuously assesses processes and procedures, revising accordingly.
* Represents the LEC in the absence of the Director and performs other duties as assigned.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to manage details and follow through.
* Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
* Must be self-motivated with good organizational skills.
* In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
* Must exercise independent judgment and discretion.
* Must have mental organization to work under pressure with many distractions, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
* Must work with little supervision and have the personality to interface effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
* Requires repetitive motion and sitting at computer keyboard.
* Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
* Meetings may require walking and/or driving to various University locations.
* Ability to pull, push, bend, grasp, reach and lift up to 20 lbs.
* Must be able to climb stairs multiple times in a work day.
* Computer monitor and reading.
* Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
* Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.