WPA/Executive Director of Writing Programs (F607)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: WPA/Executive Director of Writing Programs
Position Tracking Number: F607
School/College: Vice Provost for Graduate Programs and Research
Department: Writing Programs
Location: Azusa Campus
The Executive Director of Writing Programs serves as a writing program administrator in a leadership role that oversees the development, management, and supervision of writing programs for undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs at APU. Duties include initiating faculty development programs to improve writing pedagogy, establishing and assessing writing outcomes across the curriculum, and serving on undergraduate and graduate committees to represent writing programs and teaching. The Executive Director will collaborate with other academic support services on campus. He/she will supervise the Writing Center Director, the First Year Writing Coordinator, and the writing program staff, and will manage the office budget.
* Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition or related field.
* Develop and employ an annual strategic plan directed towards achieving university writing outcomes.
* Work with the Director of General Education and other writing-related personnel as needed to develop and monitor a culture of writing at APU.
* Work with all facets of writing instruction at APU to facilitate delivery, assessment, and effective use of writing resources, including professional development of writing instructors; collaborate with the English Department Chair as appropriate.
* Supervise the First Year Writing Coordinator who will oversee Writing 1 and lab instruction and assessment.
* Supervise the Writing Center Director to ensure a superb writing support structure to all university students.
* Work with the General Education Council, Undergraduate Studies Council, Masters Studies Council, and Doctoral Studies Council to help students achieve university-wide aims for writing.
* Coordinate writing instruction goals for all courses at APU.
* Coordinate and facilitate writing instruction assessment at APU.
* Promote writing across the curriculum and within disciplines of study.
* In collaboration with the Center for Teaching, Learning and Assessment, provide professional development opportunities to faculty teaching writing courses and faculty using writing in courses across the curriculum.
* Identify resources and needs, develop budget requests, and manage annual budget.
* Serve on university committees.
* Teach a writing course each academic year as determined by the Vice Provost and English Department Chair in light of workload demands.
* Participate in activities to maintain competency related to current developments in teaching, research, and scholarship in rhetoric, composition, and program administration.
Level: Academic Administrator
* Three or more years’ experience in writing program administration.
* Teaching experience in university writing courses.
* Full time, 12 months
Hire Date: Open until filled
At Azusa Pacific University we value and uphold God-honoring diversity. Diversity was not our idea, but God's. Therefore, we aim for an environment that respects and honors each individual's uniqueness while celebrating our collective commonalities. It is in this spirit that we continue important discourse on diversity, engage a variety of perspectives, and embrace active listening in a spirit of humility. We continue our efforts to recruit, hire, and support a diverse community in an effort to create a milieu that reflects the mosaic of God's kingdom.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To view the complete job description and apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.