Electronic Resources Librarian
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
San Diego State University Library seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented candidates for the position of Electronic Resources Librarian. This is an exciting opportunity for a forward-thinking individual to help develop the library’s electronic collections and services, while also taking the lead in public outreach and education efforts around electronic resources and services. This is a tenure-track position open at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Maintain a vibrant collection of ebooks, article databases, and other electronic information resources by working with subject librarians to evaluate current and potential subscriptions for their application to the SDSU community;
- Leverage usage statistics to evaluate current electronic resources and identify underused subscriptions;
- Ensure a positive user experience in accessing electronic resources by customizing user interfaces where possible and communicating desired changes to publishers;
- Work with the library communication and web teams to promote subscription resources to the SDSU community through various media;
- Work with subject liaison librarians to develop online learning objects and provide in-person instruction to encourage the effective use of resources;
- Manage the library’s EzProxy server white list;
- Maintain the A-Z Database List through SpringShare LibGuides;
- Maintain the database collections available through the Ex Libris Primo discovery layer;
- Coordinate with colleagues in collection development to negotiate licensing for electronic resources;
- Work with vendors and library IT to troubleshoot access issues with subscription resources;
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
- Participate in library and university organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate;
- Serve as a subject librarian for an academic discipline;
- Work on an information services desk and teach introductory information literacy classes; ;
- Other duties as needed.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in an academic or research library, or similar institution.
- Knowledge of user experience design, especially as it relates to third party subscription databases;
- Experience with assessment methods and tools for evaluating electronic resources;
- Proven experience researching and implementing electronic tools and resources;
- Familiarity with creators’ rights, copyright issues, and licensing;
- Demonstrated successful organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills;
- Experience working with faculty, researchers, staff, and students;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of users in individual and group settings;
- Ability to work as a team player in maintaining harmonious, cooperative working relationships with administrators, staff, and faculty;
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community;
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity.
- Experience as a library liaison to an academic discipline;
- Experience providing information literacy and library research instruction;
- Experience with the Ex Libris Alma library resource management software and Primo discovery layer.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by February 27, 2017. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/40315. Anticipated start date is July 2017.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.