Full-Time Faculty- Analytics Program
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers state-of-the-art technology and STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its physical location, HU offers a wide variety of courses in executive format and online. HU is actively seeking candidates for multiple faculty positions in the Analytics Program at all levels: Assistant, Associate and Full professors.
HU was founded in 2001 and first accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in 2009. HU has also recently, successfully completed its first reaccreditation cycle.
The Analytics Program at HU has been designed to meet the interdisciplinary demands of analytics and data science today. The Analytics Program is designed to provide a strong foundational background while teaching the techniques and tools required to apply this knowledge effectively and strategically. Whether a student is looking to grow in his/her current position or branch off in a new direction, HU’s program in Analytics teaches the practical skills and real world experience needed to pursue a rewarding career.
HU offers a BS in Analytics, an MS in Analytics, a 5-year BS to MS in Analytics and plans to add a doctoral program in Analytics soon.
HU seeks faculty members with expertise in the following areas:
Unstructured Data Analysis: Candidates in unstructured data analysis should have a solid background in natural language processing, computational linguistics, or psycholinguistics coming from either the field of artificial intelligence or cognitive science. Candidates should be able to demonstrate expertise in topic areas includes peer-reviewed publications and an interview seminar.
Machine Learning: Candidates in machine learning should be familiar with the full spectrum of machine learning topics and specialization in one or more topic areas. These topics include: artificial neural networks along with the cognitive and neuro science that supports development of intelligent agents acting in networks, genetic algorithms, and pattern recognition, as well as the basic topics in machine learning; classification, association, clustering, PCA, Bayesian Learning and Bayesian Belief Networks, etc. Demonstration of expertise in topic areas includes peer-reviewed publications and an interview seminar.
Forecasting: Candidates in the Forecasting track should have a strong background in risk modeling and assessment, optimization, quantitative decision-making as well as modeling, simulation and gamification. Demonstration of expertise includes peer-reviewed publications and an interview seminar.
Requirements & Qualifications:
All candidates should have a willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level teaching. The ability to teach several of the following courses: Principles and Applications of Analytics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Experiential Data Analytics is preferred. All candidates should have the ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects. Areas of specialization span the broad range of Analytics topics- with a special preference for the use of analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university in one of the following areas: data science, data analytics, artificial intelligence, statistics or a related field. Applicants with a strong background in quantitative analysis from behavior science, cognitive science, social science, or bio-informatics will also be considered.
- Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects;
- Areas of specialization span the broad range of Analytics topics- with a special preference to analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
- Ability to teach several of the following courses: Principles and Applications of Analytics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Experiential Data Analytics.
- Additional teaching strengths in the following areas are needed:
- Multi-agent Simulations
- Neural Networks
- Genetic algorithms
- Pattern recognition
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
- Located in the capitol city of Harrisburg, PA
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Tower
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3200 as of May 1, 2016.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, and Project Management
- Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP) Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County, Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.