Library Instruction Coordinator (Tenure Track - 12 month)
Library Instruction Coordinator (Tenure Track - 12 month)
Job ID: 101912
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 2920
Job Grade: Assistant
Campus Information California State University, Sacramento is located in the heart of Northern California, one of the most beautiful, diverse and rapidly growing areas in the country. The 300-acre campus, just five miles from the State Capitol, is situated along the American River parkway that offers miles of trails and recreational access to the city's two rivers, Folsom Lake and the historic Sacramento riverfront. Growth in the region has provided significant opportunities for faculty research and engagement with civic and business organizations as well as extensive research and internship opportunities for the University's approximately 27,500 students. The University, where quality teaching is a top priority, offers instruction leading toward the bachelor's degree in 58 disciplines, the master's degree in 41 disciplines, two independent doctoral degrees and one joint doctoral degree, and houses numerous research and community service centers.
Sacramento is a high-growth metropolitan area with a very diverse population of approximately 2 million. As California's capital, Sacramento is an advantageous setting for premier academic programs. As a major metropolitan university, California State University, Sacramento is committed to providing leadership in addressing significant regional needs and to enriching its liberal arts tradition. The proximity of California State University, Sacramento to the California legislature and other agencies of state and federal government provides unparalleled opportunities for faculty and students to participate in public service through policy research internships, and employment. Hiring Dept. Information As the center of campus intellectual discovery, the University Library promotes teaching, learning, research, and scholarly communication at the University by integrating the Library with campus student success programs and instruction. One of twenty-three libraries in the California State University System, the Library holds over 1.4 million volumes, comprised of print and electronic monographs and serials, and is a Federal Document Depository. The Library's mission is to inspire excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly activities. The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with new leadership, a forward-thinking vision, and a deep commitment to improving the campus learning environment.
A successful California State University, Sacramento faculty member promotes the values celebrated by a public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university. At Sacramento State, the quality of the education we provide is our top priority. In addition to contributing positively to teaching and learning, faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide service to the University and to the greater community. Our campus community represents the broad diversity of our state, and we believe that all are enriched and unified by this diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people with the commitment and ability to work with a diverse student population. Duties/Responsibilities Under the general direction of the Associate Dean for Academic Services, the Library Instruction Coordinator develops and maintains an inclusive instruction program that supports student success by building innovative approaches to course-driven instruction that is subject specific and non-subject specific, face-to-face and online. This position is the lead for instruction design and pedagogy and defines the Library's role in the adoption and evaluation of new instructional models and information literacy techniques, including integrating emerging technologies and use of online learning tools and platforms.
The Library Instruction Coordinator:
- Leads the setting of goals, objectives and priorities for library instruction consistent with the Library's strategic plan, national standards, and best practices;
- Develops an inclusive library instructional program, which includes training librarian instructors;
- Designs reusable digital learning objects that teach information literacy core concepts and integrates them into the instruction program;
- Partners with teaching faculty, the Undergraduate Experience Librarian and subject librarians to develop meaningful instructional content that fosters critical thinking skills;
- Promotes the Sacramento State Library instruction program to campus entities, faculty and students;
- Assesses and anticipates information needs and evaluates effective ways of meeting them;
- Limited responsibility for traditional and virtual reference service to students, faculty and the general public.
Scholarly or creative achievement, contributions to the Library and the University, professional development, and contributions to the community are all responsibilities of Library Faculty. Qualifications Required Qualifications
1. American Library Association accredited Masters degree or equivalent.
2. Three years of professional library experience or equivalent
3. Ability to develop inclusive instruction program
4. Practical knowledge of instructional design and pedagogy
5. Experience in designing interactive learning tools
6. Ability to evaluate new instruction models and information literacy techniques
7. Experience in providing reference services
8. Demonstrated teaching ability and strong commitment to student learning
9. Demonstrated service orientation, interpersonal skills and organizational skills
10. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations that are reflective of a wide range of background and cultural heritage and social identities
1. Degree, certificate or coursework in instructional design
2. Experience in collaborating with campus partners to develop meaningful instructional content
3. Knowledge of instructional design theory, principles and practices
4. Experience with outreach, marketing and promotion of library services to the campus and community
5. Experience with curriculum mapping
6. Experience in designing reusable digital learning objects
7. Demonstrated understanding of the learning and research process in higher education
8. Experience working with assessment tools. Appointment This is a full-time (12-month) tenure-track position at the Sr Assistant/Associate Librarian rank, with an anticipated start date of May 2017.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and professional experience.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. Application Review Review of applications will begin on February 20, 2017; position is open until filled. Application Procedures Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs website located at http://www.csus.edu/about/employment. Instructions on how to apply can also be found at this link. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Faculty, Staff, and Management Opportunities link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State.
Applicants must include the following attachments with the application:
1. Cover letter
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume
3. Diversity Statement: As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching and working environment for all. What contributions are you most proud of that exemplify your awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusionary environment? What have you learned working with diverse populations? Please limit your response to 500 words.
4. The names and contact information of at least three professional references
5. Unofficial transcripts attesting to the highest degree earned (official transcripts required upon hire) Equal Employment Opportunity California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/ Background Check A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Child Abuse and Neglect Report The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
For questions regarding application requirements for Job #101912, please send an email to email@example.com. Please include the Job ID # in the subject line of the email.
For technical difficulties, please contact our IRT help desk at (916) 278-7337.
To apply, visit: http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/