Counselor, Full-time Faculty
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
Community College of Philadelphia seeks a full-time, tenure-track generalist at the West Regional Center beginning Fall 2017.
Under the supervision of the chairperson of the counseling department, the counselor is an integral member of the college community, providing counseling, career guidance, and advisement services for students to help them determine and achieve their educational, vocational and personal objectives. Counselors help students to identify, alleviate and/or eliminate factors that may impede student's possible success in the areas of academic, vocational and/or personal achievement.
• Provide academic, career and personal counseling to a diverse community college student population.
• Participate in new student advisement, student orientation sessions, classroom presentations, assessment interpretations, and outreach activities.
• Assist students with the development and updating of an educational plan consistent with career goals.
• Develop, plan and conduct workshops to assist student retention. Such workshops may include, but are not limited to classroom visitations, peer support groups, career exploration, transfer planning, stress management and cultural diversity.
• Teach department courses: College Success Seminar (COL 101) and Career and Life Decision Making (Coun 101) classes as needed.
• Maintain a level of proficiency in the use of current and emerging technology in providing information to students.
• Consult with faculty and members of the college community regarding students' learning, behavioral and emotional needs.
• Attend staff meeting and professional development activities.
• Work one evening a week.
• May be assigned minor administrative duties.
• Perform all other counseling duties.
• An earned Master's degree in counseling or closely related field required. In addition, 1 to 3 years of recent (within last five years) experience working with a diverse college student population in a counseling setting at a college or university.
• Demonstrated ability to apply various counseling theories in the framework of the college educational setting.
• Understanding of the principles, objectives, and philosophy of counseling, career guidance, and student support services in relation to a diverse student population with diverse learning needs.
• Demonstrated experience with crisis intervention.
• Strong technology skills required, including demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office products; working knowledge of web browser and related technologies.
• NCC credential or equivalent (e.g., PA licensure).
• Bilingual abilities preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
EOE. Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Grade or Rank
Rank 5 or Rank 6
Job Posting Open Date
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you posesses at least an earned Master's degree in counseling or a closely related field?
- * Do you have at least 1 to 3 years of recent (within the last 5 years) experience working with a diverse college student population in a counseling setting at a college or university?
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- No Response
- The Chronicle
- Job Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Writing Sample
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation
- Other Document ( See Special Instructions to Applicant)