Program Assistant-Learn and Earn Program-PT
Category: Part Time Non-Benefit Positions
Department: Career Advancement & Internships
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jan 20, '17
Type: PT No Benefits
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Recently re-certified as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream, BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. The College offers more than 100 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than 50 percent are women.
We are looking for individuals aligned with our institutional values of access and success, excellence and innovation, economic and social justice, inclusiveness and equity, civic engagement and service, kindness and respect, and accountability and transparency. Individuals with a dedication to a dynamic educational environment, investment in the social and economic well-being of all, and belief in student-centered learning in an engaging, supportive environment are sought to fill the following position.
Living in Boston
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America. Twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offer more than 600,000 residents the opportunity to taste, touch, and experience things from all over the world. Neighbors benefit from exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, and a solid network of parks, community centers, and libraries. For more information about Boston go to: http://www.cityofboston.gov/residents.
Learn and Earn, sponsored by the Massachusetts Competitive Partnership (MACP), is a competitive, credit-bearing internship program that provides rewarding corporate immersion experiences for diverse community college students. Qualified BHCC students majoring in Business, Engineering, General Concentration, Graphic Design, IT, Paralegal Studies, Biotech and other subjects, are offered paid internships at some of the largest companies in and around Boston including Bank of America, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, The Boston Foundation, BJ'S Wholesale Club, EMC, Fidelity Investments, Putnam Investments, Raytheon, Staples, State Street, Suffolk Construction, UBS, and Vertex Pharmaceuticals. The Learn and Earn Program is an integral part of the BHCC Office of Career Planning and Internship Programs.
The Learn and Earn Program Assistant will gain experience in supporting student engagement and development as a primary liaison for the Program Coordinator. This is a great opportunity for a candidate with experience in the fields of Higher Education Administration, Student/Career Development, or Adult Learning & Community Engagement to gain direct insights on career related issues and program design management. The right candidate will demonstrate a passion for working with a diverse student population, and possess skills to support recruiting activities, professional preparation, and administrative coordination for the Learn and Earn Program. Responsibilities include:
- Daily contact with students via e-mail, phone calls or walk-ins who need information about the program and its requirements.
- Coaching of students about their next steps in applying for the Learn and Earn Program and needed courses for their desired internship program of study.
- Tracking of student progress throughout the application cycle and confirming approximately 200 student applicants' eligibility, monitoring faculty recommendations, and setting up selection committee interview profiles.
- Assist with planning and staffing of campus recruiting, alumni events, networking mixers, and other special events as requested.
- Work collaboratively with Career Planning and Internship staff and other campus departments.
- Assist in development and coordination of student and employer marketing communications.
- Outreach to new student interns as to compliance in onboarding procedures, course selection, job orientation and start days each semester.
- The successful candidate will be very well-organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- He/she will be able to manage multiple tasks in a busy office environment and will be confident enough to answer questions and complete projects without direct supervision at times.
- The applicant must be technology-friendly and experienced in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- BHCC seeks an assistant who values advising students and helping them prepare professionally for their corporate internships.
- Applicants must also have proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
- Bachelor's degree minimum.
15-18.5/wk @ $15/hour, Non-benefited
Position runs Friday, January 20, 2016 to Friday, May 19, 2017
Desired availability is Monday -Friday, any time from 9am -6pm
Continued review of supported materials and interviews scheduled until filled.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume Addressing the Required Qualifications to: https://bhcc.interviewexchange.com. Fax transcript files over 2 MB to (617)-228-3328.