Dean, Beaver College of Health Services
Appalachian State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the Beaver College of Health Sciences.
The Beaver College of Health Sciences was formed in 2010 with a mission of preparing well-educated and highly qualified professionals, conducting innovative research, and promoting community engagement to improve people's health - physically, emotionally and socially. The Beaver College of Health Sciences strives to be the preeminent and most comprehensive academic center for health professions in western North Carolina. The college prides itself on innovation and collaboration in education, scholarship and service that produces high quality graduates, attracts superior faculty and staff, and transforms health and quality of life for the communities we serve.
The Dean will provide outstanding leadership in realizing the vision and achieving the goals of the College and University; oversee personnel, curricula, budgets, and strategic directions including new programs that meet the changing workforce needs of North Carolina for the College; support integrated strategic planning and institutional effectiveness initiatives; and collaborate with other members of the Academic Affairs team in achieving University objectives.
The Dean serves as the academic leader of the College, offering 10 undergraduate degree programs and six graduate degree programs, which are organized in six departments: Nursing, Social Work, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Nutrition and Health Care Management, Health and Exercise Science, and Recreation Management and Physical Education. The College also houses the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Institute for Health and Human Services, participates in the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, NC, and has a unique partnership with Wake Forest School of Medicine’s Physician Assistant Program. In the summer of 2018, the College looks forward to moving most of its programs to a new 203,000 square foot facility with state-of-the-art labs and classrooms that will become the cornerstone of the ASU Health Sciences Campus.
The Dean reports directly to the Provost as a member of the Deans Council, which includes leaders from the Reich College of Education, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Hayes School of Music, Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies, the Walker College of Business, the College of Fine and Applied Arts, the Beaver College of Health Sciences, Honors College and the Belk Library and Information Commons.
Required qualifications include the following:
- Earned doctorate;
- Record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service with eligibility for the rank of full professor in one of the departments within the College; and
- Successful administrative and leadership experience in higher education.
Preference will be accorded to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of the disciplines and programs that comprise the Beaver College of Health Sciences;
- Evidence of promoting a caring, respectful, and inclusive community for students, faculty, and staff;
- Commitment to support of disciplinary and interdisciplinary environments and curricula that lead to student success, and the ability to lead faculty and staff in creating transformational, inter-professional educational experiences for students;
- Commitment to support of faculty development, including research and creative activity;
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively, decisively, collaboratively, and transparently with academic leadership, faculty, students, staff, donors, Advisory Council members, community partners, and other stakeholders important to the College;
- Commitment to diversity;
- Innovative vision and managerial skills to protect, nurture, and enhance increasingly rigorous and superior-quality programs;
- Demonstrated success with strategic planning;
- Demonstrated fundraising experience;
- Experience with building and sustaining community partnerships; and
- Dynamic team-building and leadership skills with evidence of deep appreciation of, and support for, shared governance.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided by February 24, 2017.
How to Apply
A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences including efforts to increase diversity and inclusion and interest in the position and a current resume or curriculum vitae. It is requested that the application package include the names of five references with titles, institutions, and contact information. References will not be contacted until approval is provided by the candidate. These materials should be submitted to the ASU application portal at http://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/14316
Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should send an email with information about the nominated individual to Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, which is assisting ASU in this search. Please include the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee.
Inquiries and nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Sharon A McDade, Principal & Senior Executive
Patricia Gibbs, Executive Search Consultant
Leadership Consultant Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
For more information about Appalachian State University, please visit http://www.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact Dr. Sharon A. McDade at email@example.com. Proper documentation of identity and employability will be required before the hiring process can be finalized. Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.