Career Development and Assistant Director of the Center for Student Opportunity (CSO)
Alma College is seeking an Assistant Director of the Center for Student Opportunity to lead Career Services. This position is responsible for providing student outreach and information (including use of Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook), training and leading student Peer Consultants, tracking and sharing information on internships, organizing and implementing workshops, programs and surveys, and holding various events to provide key information on career planning and development. As Assistant Director of the CSO, the person in this position will work collaboratively with individuals promoting a wide range of student opportunities and support services.
- Talk with students about processes of major and career exploration
- Assist students with the development of resumes, portfolios, professional statements and completion of application processes
- Expose students to career opportunities (including internships) through job fairs and on-campus interviews with prospective employers and graduate school representatives
- Train and supervise student Peer Consultants, student assistants and potentially interns to provide information on the components of effective job, internship and graduate school searches, including resume/CV development, search strategies, networking and interviewing
- Partner with faculty to provide career information for majors
- Develop, facilitate, supervise and implement career events and workshops
- Coordinate annual career outcomes surveys and ongoing data collection
- Utilize communication strategies including social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook) to connect with and notify students, alumni and employers of upcoming opportunities
- Identify and share information on practicum, internship, employment, and graduate/professional school opportunities
- Maintain and update a database of prospective employers, internships and career opportunities
- Meet with alumni to establish a strong networking base and generate internship, graduate school and career opportunities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to work collaboratively within the CSO as well as with faculty and staff across the campus to develop and support opportunities for students
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Experience building effective, sustainable programs
- Ability to analyze data and clearly communicate findings to internal and external audiences
- Experience using technology to track work and communicate with internal and external audiences
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize social media and the web to engage with target audiences
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Experience in a higher education setting or working with college students
- Experience working in career services
Supervision Received/ Supervision Exercised:
- Position reports to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Supervises student and/or graduate interns
- Supervises student assistants
- Academic community and prospective employers to identify and share information on opportunities for students
- Key administrators to coordinate internship and career opportunities
- Administrative and support personnel in the Center for Student Opportunity
- Office and Information Technology staff to develop processes, including those to track graduates
- Advancement and Alumni Offices on strategic issues
- Faculty members to strengthen the connection between classroom and career, and increase visibility of career services
- Must be able to sit and use a computer up to eight hours a day
- Must be able to make presentations and engage in some travel
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, a current resume, and the name, address, e-mail, and phone number of three professional references to:
Mary Ellen Yost
Center for Student Opportunity
614 W. Superior St.
Alma, MI. 48801
Materials may also be submitted electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin February 1, 2017 and extend until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. For more information about the College and available positions, visit www.alma.edu/jobs.