HEOP Academic Counselor
Mount Saint Mary College, rated by U.S. News & World Report as a top-tier regional university, seeks a genial, conscientious, innovative, resourceful, and detail-oriented individual to serve as the Academic Counselor for its Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP). The HEOP is a comprehensive academic support program for academically and economically disadvantaged students. With responsibilities for assisting in the management of the program and counseling students in academic, financial and personal matters, as needed, the individual who holds this position will report to the Director of HEOP. The successful candidate must possess the skills and demeanor to be an effective educator, counselor, and role model for HEOP students, be an excellent communicator, a team player, and be willing and able to work effectively and compassionately with diverse populations.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the secondary academic advisor, in conjunction with each student’s faculty advisor, for all program students.
- With guidance from the Director, assist in the coordination and implementation of the Summer Bridge Program and admission selection process
- Maintain student academic records and submit data to the Director in a timely manner.
- Counsel a caseload of students with academic, financial, residential and/or social matters as needed.
- Serve as primary advisor over the HEOP leadership council
- Organize co-curricular activities to promote program retention and student development, as appropriate.
- Plan community outreach and recruitment events with local high schools and student service organizations.
- Complete other duties as assigned, including occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Actively support the mission of Mount Saint Mary College, which provides a liberal arts education in the Catholic and Dominican intellectual tradition.
REQUIREMENTS & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (Master’s degree preferred).
- Work experience in an opportunity program or a social services organization that serves a similar student population.
- Academic advising and/or coaching experience to promote academic success.
- A general understanding of student retention theory and the needs of first-generation college students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, email, and internet software.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Experience creating and implementing programs for college students.
- A degree in higher education management/student services, counseling or social work is preferred, and the ability to speak Spanish is preferred.
We offer attractive, competitive compensation and benefits including, medical, dental, life insurance, paid vacation and personal days, and a 401k program.
Mount Saint Mary College is a Catholic, Dominican liberal arts college located in New York’s scenic Hudson Valley, 60 miles north of New York City. Preparing students for personal and professional success, the College offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in healthcare, business, education, social services, communication and media, the liberal arts, and more.
Mount Saint Mary College is an Equal Opportunity Employer