Lewis University invites applications for an Academic Advisor for the School of Professional and Continuing Education. The Advisor is responsible for providing quality academic advising services to current and prospective students in SPCE. In addition, the Advisor supports the Dean and works cooperatively with all SPCE personnel in accomplishing the goals and objectives of the School for Professional and Continuing Education.
Located 25 miles southwest of Chicago, Lewis University is a comprehensive, Catholic university, where the traditions of liberal learning and preparation for professional work come together to give the university its educational identity and focus. We serve a diverse student population and our values are based upon the beliefs and educational philosophy of St. John Baptist De La Salle, founder of the De La Salle Christian Brothers. Classes are offered in a variety of formats to nearly 6,600 students throughout multiple campuses in the Chicago region, in Albuquerque, N.M., and online. For additional information, please see http://www.lewisu.edu.
- Provide advisement services to and Albuquerque students including, but not limited to: academic advising, transcript evaluation, degree planning, and registration requirements.
- Connect students with resources on campus; facilitate overall navigation of the university etc.
- Conduct new student orientation for incoming students prior to their enrollment.
- Refer students to the School’s Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment () for information and assistance involving processes.
- Confer with College faculty regarding equivalency of transfer courses.
- Request/process course substitutions with appropriate department chair.
- Submit written requests to the Dean of for students requesting coursework away from Lewis University.
- Process intent and approval forms for students pursuing fast-track eligible programs.
- Create degree plans in Banner (Degree Works), identifying “critical courses.”
- Provide academic advisement services via scheduled appointments, unscheduled walk-ins, phone and e-mail.
- Travel to satellite campuses to provide advisement services as needed.
- Perform graduation audits; personally contact students of any discrepancies or missing courses.
- Work closely with staff in the office of Transfer Admissions in reviewing files to begin advising students once they are admitted to a program offered through the School.
- Assist with special student retention initiatives as requested.
- Assist with social media presence.
- Assist in building cohorts with external partnerships.
- Assist Program Directors with course projections.
- Welcome, congratulate, and provide assistance to students and their families at all senior receptions and commencement exercises as requested.
- Maintain statistical records for programs concerning enrollment trends, student progress, degree trends, degree phase-outs, focus groups.
Master’s degree plus three years professional work experience required. Experience with Banner, Blackboard, Salesforce and Microsoft Office a plus. Must have excellent oral/written communication skills. Must have excellent computer/keyboarding skills, be able to work with flexible schedules involving some evening and weekend hours and have previous experience in dealing with adult students.
Minimum of three years professional work experience in higher education preferred. Working knowledge of transcript evaluation, student advising, admissions and registration is preferred.
For a full description and to be considered for this position, please visit: http://jobs.lewisu.edu/postings/1806
Inspired by the Universities Mission values of Wisdom, Knowledge, Justice, Fidelity and Association, the Lewis Community declares that Lewis is a Sanctified Zone where people are committed to working to end racism, bias and prejudice by valuing diversity in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.