Data Warehouse Architect
Scope of Job
Responsible for the technical and systems design expertise to support the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) including traditional RDBMs, analytic appliances and data environments, extraction, transformation and loading (ETL), data quality evaluation and management, dimensional (star schema) data modeling, database architecture, warehousing principles, and a host of other activities essential to big data needs of operations and research at the enterprise level.
Description of Duties
• Defines, designs and monitors construction of an enterprise data warehouse, including data models, databases, ETL processes, analytics tools and drives all associated access, metadata, data quality, data governance and other components.
• Takes a focused and value-added approach towards specific analytics needs and solutions, yet also conceives and guides the institution towards a big data architecture by taking a comprehensive perspective on UTRGV’s holistic analytics needs.
• Serves as a subject matter expert for all data contained within the data warehouse.
• Actively advocates for usage of data and analytics to allow the institution to make informed decisions around student success, improving business processes, research and medical education.
• Designs a well-integrated data architecture that meets present and future needs of the University.
• Work with data warehouse analysts and business analysts to anticipate and support research and data needs related to areas such as student success, business processes, academic research and medical education with a focus on self-service.
• Responsible for the ETL design and development efforts, making sure that the business rules are implemented correctly and clarifying issues as they arise.
• Develops and executes project estimates and timelines.
• Develops and manages relationships with users, vendors, consultants and other key stakeholders.
• Manages personnel assigned to analytics projects and operations.
• Ensures functional and technical analytics requirements are documented.
• Ensures that logical data warehouse database design fulfills functional and technical requirements by partnering with user groups and developing a clear understanding of the analytics insights that need to be delivered.
• Promotes and facilitates effective communication between the department and the University’s administrative community as well as advising IT management on technical and process issues.
• Creates, implements and enforces standard operating procedures, recommends policies and processes for existing and new services within the defined function/scope for enterprise data warehousing.
• Diligently identifies and pursues data anomalies to ensure the highest level of data integrity.
• Contributes to the ITSM process by executing any assigned roles, including but not limited to Change Manager for routine change requests, and other roles.
• Consults with management, project management and users to provide expert advice on enterprise data warehousing initiatives.
• Manages relationships with users, vendors, consultants and other key information systems stakeholders throughout the University and proactively identifies new projects to enhance the effectiveness of business processes.
• Oversees critical application production problems for resolution by providing expertise, guidance and facilitation for trouble shooting that often involves other IT departments.
• Manages Quality Assurance standards that include reviewing objects to be moved to production and oversees the procedures that include reviewing the changes provided by junior team members to ensure standards and documentation meet expectations as defined.
• Coordinates, schedules and facilitates system changes of the enterprise data warehouse with Business Analysts, Database Administrators, Application Administrators team, Access Administration team and IT Service Helpdesk.
• Maintains continual growth in professional skills and knowledge essential to the position.
• Supervises, manages, and mentors assigned staff
• Participates and recommends in the hiring, training, and evaluation of staff already mentioned in the duty above Ensures compliance with federal, State, and UT System rules and regulations including HIPAA, FERPA, UTS165, PCI.
• Performs special projects and other duties assigned.
General supervision from department director.
Direct supervision of professional staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with in computer information systems, computer science, or a related field.
ITIL v3 Foundations Certification or obtain within one year of hire.
Preferred: Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) or Oracle database certified or related certification
Five (5) years of job related work as a data warehouse architect/manager, data modeler, building queries/reports, data marts, cubes, ETL developer and/or as a database administrator or related field, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Experience in working with structured enterprise database warehouse environments using common software industry practices in a higher education setting. Team oriented, with strong communication skills.
Knowledge of personal computers, office equipment and software, such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, SharePoint, various web browsers, etc.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and night/weekend work is required. On Call responsibilities include being available for work during non-business hours may be required.
Ability to multitask assignments, extremely flexibility on assignments types and the knowledge needs to be very extensive in the technical aspects of their duties. Possess resourcefulness and creative thinking skills for problem resolution. Strong analytical, written, and verbal communication skills. Work effectively as an individual and as a team. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with experience in presenting other groups within the University.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.