Assistant Professor, Theatre Department
The Department of Theatre is a dynamic, growing department dedicated to comprehensive undergraduate theatre training via a program of study (BA in Theatre) defined by its commitment to breadth of understanding, hands-on experience, and demonstrated excellence in Acting, Directing, Design, Playwriting, Dramaturgy, History, Literature, and Management (www.du.edu/theatre).
The department seeks applicants for a full time, tenure-track, faculty position (assistant professor) in an undergraduate only theatre department. The position is defined by three areas of focus: Teaching, Creative Work/Scholarly Research, and University Service. The appointment will begin in Fall 2017.
* Teach departmental courses in Lighting Design, Scenic Design, Page to Stage, Junior Seminar, Senior Practicum, Production Performance Studio, Theatre Topics, and may include courses in other design areas (such as projections or video design), Dramatic Literature, Theory/Criticism, and other subjects, depending on experience, interest, and ability.
* Active mentoring and consultation for senior capstone productions and independent projects, and also may include First-Year Seminar and/or Advanced Seminar offerings within the division of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
* Design two or more productions each year.
Creative Work/Scholarly Research
* Active pursuit of professional theatre work and/or scholarly research, depending on experience and professional focus.
* Participate on departmental, divisional, and university committees.
* Participate in departmental curriculum development and revision, annual selection of production season, student and departmental assessment, and student recruitment, retention, and academic advising.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate theatre education.
* Demonstrated commitment to professional standards, mentoring, and collaboration.
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in promoting Inclusive Excellence.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work well with students, faculty, staff and community.
* MFA in Lighting Design, Scenic Design, or Scenography.
* Professional theatre design experience.
* Significant teaching experience in academic/training environment.
* Membership in United Scenic Artists.
* Demonstrated track record of success in the design field in professional theatre.
* Demonstrated expertise in teaching a secondary design focus (such as projections, properties, video design) as well as non-design courses such as Dramatic Literature, Theory/Criticism, and Management.
* Demonstrated experience working in or with culturally and racially diverse environments.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. The committee will begin evaluating applications January 6, 2017. If you have questions regarding this position please contact: Jennifer Forsyth at
Please include the following documents with your application:
* Letter of interest
* Statement of teaching philosophy
* Evidence of commitment to inclusive excellence
* Any additional supplemental materials that may be appropriate
* Three letters of reference.
Referrers should send letters electronically to Jennifer Forsyth at , or by mail to:
Department of Theatre
1903 East Iliff Avenue
Denver, CO 80208
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 5 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.