California State University at Long Beach
About California State University at Long Beach
California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) is a highly diverse, student-centered, globally-engaged public university committed to providing highly-valued undergraduate and graduate educational opportunities through superior teaching, research, creative activity and service. Its academic purpose is simple—to graduate students with highly-valued degrees.
Founded in 1949, portions of the 322-acre campus overlook the Pacific Ocean. With 95 permanent buildings housing its eight colleges, auxiliaries and support programs, CSULB has 65 academic departments and programs, 24 centers, six institutes and four clinics, and offers 82 bachelor’s, 65 master’s andfour doctoral degree programs. With its most recent graduating class, CSULB now has more than 300,000 alumni.
Most recently, the university was successful in the first comprehensive fundraising campaign in the institution’s history, the Declare Campaign surpassed its stated goal of raising a total of $225 million. The campaign was built around three pillars–unequaled access, transformation and a greater community–to create a cultural shift that encourages all CSULB students, faculty, staff and community members to proactively participate in achieving the university’s mission. That mission is to provide highly-valued educational opportunities through superior teaching, research, creative activity and service through giving.
The student population of more than 35,000 can take advantage of the vibrant university’s numerous state-of-the-art facilities which include the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center, Earl Burns Japanese Garden, Hall of Science Building, College of Business Administration, Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theatre, Mike and Arlene Walter Pyramid, Molecular and Life Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Spidell Technology Center, Student Recreation and Wellness Center, the University Art Museum and the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music.
The student-operated University Student Union is located at the crossroads of the sprawling campus, providing a focal point for the total campus community while nearby Brotman Hall houses many centralized campus services and administrative offices. There are also specialized facilities for Engineering Technology, School of Art, Industrial and Interior Design, as well as the International Housestudent residence hall and meeting complex.
The tranquil beauty of the campus owes much to its 3,200 Helen Borcher flowering peach trees that were donated by the citizens of Long Beach. Secluded landscape areas and buildings of appropriate scale help maintain a welcoming learning environment that encourages small group identification and personal privacy in the midst of 42,500 individuals—students, faculty and staff— sharing the same site, on what is essentially a large urban campus.
The campus landscape was also enhanced when, in 1965, the International Sculpture Symposium contributed nine monumental pieces and designs to the university. These worksreceived credits in 21 national and international publications, and in 1972 additional community funds in the form of a trust provided for the completion of the Carlson Memorial Tower, designed by French sculptor Andre Bloc.
The campus sculpture collection has continued to expand, with the addition of works by artists such as Guy Dill, Michael Davis, Robert Irwin, Bryan Hunt, and Woods Davy. These acquisitions were made possible by private donations and grants from the National Endowment for the Arts to the University Art Museum.
California State University, Long Beach envisions changing lives by expanding educational opportunities, championing creativity and preparing leaders for an ever-changing world.CSULB is committed to being an outstanding teaching-intensive, research-driven university that emphasizes student engagement, scholarly and creative achievement, civic participation and global perspectives.
Teaching-Intensive, Research-Driven University
- CSULB students have many opportunities through their studies to gain a love of ideas; an appreciation of artistic expression, science and technology; and an understanding of varied cultures.
- CSULB faculty members fully integrate the results of their research and creative activities into their teaching, invigorating and enhancing student learning.
- Students receive the advising and mentoring needed to help pursue their dreams because of the student-centered philosophy of CSULB's faculty and staff.
- CSULB faculty members are widely recognized for their outstanding teaching, research and creative activities.
- The university has the highest average graduation rate and the lowest average time to graduation among the public master's-degree-granting universities in the West.
- The university continues to enhance its highly collegial climate that enables broad and deep collaboration in research, creative activities and teaching.
- CSULB graduates have the necessary skills for successful careers in a wide variety of fields and disciplines.
- CSULB is recognized for the rich diversity of its student body and the accomplishments of its students demonstrate it is both possible and essential to offer broad access to high quality education.
- CSULB is widely recognized for its high quality of services, activities and programs for students.
- CSULB has strong partnerships with faculty, staff, student and community groups so that it may serve as primary advocates to meet the needs of its diverse student population.
- CSULB embraces a culture of evidence that strives for continued quality improvement in its programs and services.
- CSULB invests in our human and technological resources so that we may optimally respond in a dynamic environment.
- CSULB makes a positive contribution to the greater society by developing responsible citizens, with highly valued degrees, for the 21st century.
- CSULB students graduate as skilled problem-solvers and practitioners of their disciplines through participation in research projects, creative endeavors, community service learning and internships.
- "Beach Pride" is pervasive not just among faculty, staff and students, but among graduates, friends of the campus, and most alumni, who retain significant ties to campus programs, return to campus often, and support the campus financially.
- Other universities look to CSULB as the source of best practices in student engagement, instructional innovations, academic technologies, student services and institutional effectiveness.
- Each CSULB student has the opportunity to enhance his or her educational experience through co-curricular activities that include student-to-student relationship-building in clubs, cultural activities sponsored by departments and colleges, and international programs and events.
- CSULB faculty receive adequate and appropriate recognition and reward for engaging in pedagogical practices such as community service learning that prepare students for responsible civic participation.
- CSULB is recognized as an "engaged campus," where students, faculty and staff are actively involved in campus life and activities.
Scholarly and Creative Achievement
- The expertise and research interests of CSULB faculty are recognized and valued nationally and internationally for their advancement of knowledge.
- CSULB faculty members receive both internal and external support for their research and creative activities.
- CSULB faculty researchers make significant contributions to resolving community and regional problems and planning for future needs of our region and the nation.
- Research/technology parks in the Greater Long Beach area include a high proportion of small companies spun off from campus-originated faculty-staff-student research projects.
- CSULB faculty, staff and students are intensely involved in community service and partnerships with community agencies and non-profits, schools and local government agencies.
- One of the fastest growing areas of campus activity is the business and technology "incubator" program, whereby faculty-staff-student research teams work together to bring ideas developed through external funding into the marketplace.
- All students have the opportunity and necessary financial support to earn credit toward degree through internships with area companies and community organizations.
- The variety and scope of the university's international curricular offerings are continuously broadened and deepened.
- Through a wide variety of curricular and extracurricular stratagems, all CSULB students are significantly exposed to a global perspective and many will develop multi-lingual abilities.
- Faculty and staff are significantly supported in internationally-related teaching and research.
- The international strengths of the university are promoted and communicated, both internally and externally.
- Service and Support
- CSULB applies the highest standards in fiduciary and administrative responsibility through personal accountability, fairness and high ethical standards.
- CSULB is an employer of choice in public higher education.
- The CSULB physical environment is safe, accessible, functional and inviting.
12 jobs with California State University at Long Beach
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Health and Human ServicesArchstone Foundation Endowed Chair in AgingTenured Full Professor Openin...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Business Administration Department of AccountancyTenure-Track Position OpeningRECRUITMENT NUMBER:...
LONG BEACH STATE ATHLETICS - ASSISTANT MEN'S GOLF COACHPart-Time (Coaching Assistant – 10 Month)Salary: $21,570 per yearEffective Date: On or about...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Business AdministrationDepartment of Information SystemsTenure-Track Position OpeningRECRUITMENT ...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Business AdministrationDepartment of Management and Human Resource ManagementTenure-Track Positio...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Health and Human Services Assistant Professor of Speech-Language PathologyTenure-Track Position O...
LONG BEACH STATE ATHLETICSASSISTANT WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL COACHFull-Time (Coaching Assistant – 12 Month)Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and e...
LONG BEACH STATE ATHLETICS - ASSISTANT BASEBALL COACHCoach - 12 Month Full TimeSalary: Commensurate with qualifications and experienceEffective D...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Business AdministrationDepartment of MarketingTenure-Track Position OpeningRECRUITMENT NUMBER: 24...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of Business Administration Department of FinanceTenure-Track Position OpeningRECRUITMENT NUMBER: 245...
California State University, Long BeachCollege of EducationDepartment of Advanced Studies in Education and CounselingFull-Time Lecturer Position Op...
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACHCollege of EducationDepartment of Advanced Studies in Education and CounselingFull-Time Lecturer Position Op...