University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Founded in 1927, Pitt-Johnstown is located in the Laurel Highlands of Western Pennsylvania and is the first and largest regional campus of the University of Pittsburgh. Pitt-Johnstown is the regional leader, educating for the RealWorld. The distinctive combination of our people, programs, and place results in exceptional performance in preparing students for career and professional success. Pitt-Johnstown is recognized by the Princeton Review as a “Best in the Northeast” college, by G.I. Jobs as a “Military Friendly School,” and by Pennsylvania Business Central as a "Top 100 Organization.” Additionally, Pitt-Johnstown has been presented with The Seven Seals Award by the US Department of Defense’s office of Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR).
The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown:
- Is a vital knowledge center and the foremost contributor to the region’s educational, social, cultural, and economic development;
- Provides a high-quality educational experience that is purposefully designed to prepare students for the real world of the 21st century;
- Is located on 655 picturesque acres in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh; and
- Offers a supportive living-learning environment that is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, is current, and is responsive to both our students’ personal and professional needs, and to our communities’ needs.
Pitt-Johnstown’s excellence is reflected by the accomplishments of students, faculty, and staff, the record of achievements of more than 20,500 alumni, the satisfaction of area employers, and the commendations of many external organizations.
- Founded in 1927
- President: Dr. Jem Spectar
- Student enrollment: 3,000 (approximately)
- SAT Average: 1,040
- Graduation Rate: 55%*
(Student Right To Know)
- Faculty: 253 (full-/part-time)
- Staff: 246 (full-/part-time)
- Average Class Size: 25
- Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 17-1
- Undergraduate Majors: 48
- NCAA Division II and PSAC Athletic Teams: 15
- Student Organizations: 100
- Alumni: 20,500
- Number of buildings: 36
- Total acreage: 655
*2005 cohort; national six-year graduation rate=55.2% (National Center for Education Statistics)
- Highly talented faculty of dedicated teachers and productive scholars facilitate the success of highly motivated and ambitious students in an up-close-and-personal learning environment.
- Caring and dedicated staff enhance a supportive living-learning environment, offering personalized assistance to facilitate success from admission to graduation.
- More than 20,500 alumni, as well as an enthusiastic community of donors and well-wishers, constitute a vital network facilitating the success of our students and graduates, making meaningful contributions to our world.
- Productive partnerships with area businesses foster economic development, create real world learning opportunities, and build relationships with future employers.
- Extensive faculty-staff community involvement fosters positive town/gown relationships and generates goodwill for our students and job seekers.
- Pitt-quality education with world-class standards of academic excellence appreciated by employers and recognized by top graduate schools alike.
- Highly sought after baccalaureate programs all grounded on liberal education with intense real world focus including engineering, nursing, justice administration & criminology, pre-medical professions, education, business and management information systems….
- Practical real world focused-learning experiences including mentored projects, guided internships, capstones and undergraduate research projects that link theory to practical applications.
- A unique collegiate experience through our signature RealWorld Action Program, which actively supports Career and Professional Development as well as Campus, Civic, and Global Engagement.
- Nearly 100 clubs and organizations as well as varied activities enrich the collegiate environment.
- NCAA Division II school boasting 15 competitive sports in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC), and great intramural opportunities.
- Nationally recognized for supporting veterans’ transition and success.
- National recognition for high levels of student engagement as illustrated in national surveys and commendations.
- Maximizing affordability and access through a broad range of scholarships, grants, work-study and other financial aid.
- A picturesque residential campus environment nestled in the Laurel Highlands with many state-of-the-art facilities that support excellence in learning and contribute to student success and learning inside and outside the classroom.
- A friendly campus where you will make many friends with a wide range of interests, backgrounds and pursuits.
- A safe place to live, learn, and play, away from the rough and tumble of larger and more metropolitan campuses.
- The Spirit of the Mountain Cat is everywhere…. This you have to discover and experience yourself! Visit us to find out about Mountain Cat Spirit.
- Key academic outcomes such as retention, student success rates, graduation rates, and readiness for the real world compare favorably and even outperform many top notch colleges and universities.
- Intensive career and job placement initiatives facilitate progress from admission to graduation, with focused guidance intended to help students find jobs and succeed in a competitive workplace in their career of choice. High placement rates in very good jobs!
- An exceptional Pitt-quality education comparable to quality private colleges...a great value!
Get job alerts from University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown straight to your inbox