The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
About The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is the second largest school in the University of Tennessee System, serving a diverse student body of more than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students through five academic colleges. UTC offers a unique blend of private and public school traditions and is a driving force for achieving excellence, embracing diversity, inspiring positive change, and enriching the community.
Since its founding as Chattanooga University in 1886, UTC has developed a reputation for excellence built on an unusual blend of the private and public traditions of American higher education. For more than 83 years, the university was a private school. In 1969, UTC became part of the state university system.
Today, UTC is on a journey to excellence — boldly embracing a passion for excellence in all things and focused on changing lives and transforming communities.
The UTC commitment—each and every day—is to earn the trust and confidence of those we serve. Our goal is to make a difference in our community and in the lives of our students.
Thank you for your interest in taking part in our journey to engage students, inspire change and enrich community.
We’ve only just begun.
UTC at a Glance
- UTC is composed of five colleges: Arts and Sciences; Business; Engineering and Computer Science; Health, Education, and Professional Studies; and the Honors College.
- We offer 101 undergraduate, 47 master’s, 6 doctoral programs, 36 certificate programs and 4 specialist degree programs.
- The University Library holds more than 1.8 million books and federal and state documents.
- UTC is proud to be the home of the Mocs! As a member of the Southern Conference, our student-athletes compete in 17 sports in Division I, earning multiple conference championships and earning post-season play in many sports. Approximately 157 student athletes are listed on the honor roll and have a record high average GPA of 3.1.
- The average High School GPA for UTC’s incoming freshmen is 3.48—the highest it’s been in 20 years.
- UTC has 11,388 total students (Fall 2015).
- UTC Average ACT is 23.4; Tennessee Mean ACT is 19.8; National Mean ACT is 21.0.
- Less than 10% of the total student population are from outside Tennessee. Fifty-six percent of students are female and 25% represent ethnic minorities. UTC has students on campus from 35 different countries.
- Of UTC’s full-time faculty, 47% are women, 90% percent hold a terminal degree, and 18% represent ethnic minorities. UTC has over 56,000 alumni on record.
- Outside of Tennessee, UTC has its largest concentrations of alumni in Georgia, Alabama, Florida and North Carolina.
- UTC is a public university with state appropriations comprising less than 20 percent of its budget.
- The University of Chattanooga Foundation endowment was $121 million as of June 30, 2015 with 26% representing academic support, 25% scholarship support, 37% unrestricted support, 11% for professorship support and 1% faculty development.
- UTC faculty members conduct high-impact research in science and engineering, health and wellness, social sciences, education, and the arts.
- UTC engages undergraduate and graduate students in most research efforts, which provides them with practical real-world experiences that help them succeed in their chosen fields.
- UTC earned the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching Community Engagement University Designation in recognition for involvement with the community.
- Ranked by U.S. News and World Report in the Top Tier of Southern Regional Master’s Universities.
- Named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction, the highest federal honor a university can receive for its commitment to service learning and civic engagement.
- Named a 2015 College of Distinction for student engagement, great teaching, vibrant communities, and successful outcomes.UTC was one of the College Choice 2016 Top 50 Disability Friendly Colleges and Universities.
- A recent construction boom of more than $300 million on campus, including a new $48 million state-of-the-art library.
- UTC enjoys a close relationship with the City of Chattanooga, which now ranks third among the 150 largest U.S. cities for growth in the Hispanic population.
Chattanooga also has the fastest internet in the country. Home to the first Gig Internet in the United States, Chattanooga has a 100% fiber network that links every home and business in a 600-square mile area.Chattanooga, the fourth largest city in the state, is located in Southeast Tennessee near the border of Georgia at the junction of four interstate highways. The city has received national recognition for the renaissance of its beautiful downtown and redevelopment of its riverfront.
Companies like Unum, McKee, U.S. Xpress, Volkswagen, Coke United and Amazon.com have chosen to set up shop in Chattanooga.
Attractions such as the Tennessee Aquarium, Lookout Mountain, Civil War battlefield sites, the African American Museum, and the Appalachian Trail bring thousands of people to the area, as do events like the Riverbend Festival, Nightfall, Jazzanooga, the Creative Discovery Museum for children, and the Southern Writers Conference. Chattanooga is the home to the seven-time NCAA Southern Conference Football Champions, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs.
People who love the outdoors use Chattanooga as a base for hang-gliding, bass fishing, mountain climbing and caving expeditions; the beautiful Smoky Mountains and Tennessee River support the greatest variety of flora of any area in the United States. Chattanooga also has a long and rich past with regard to diversity, which includes Native American heritage, Civil War history, and the Civil Rights movement.
Chattanooga is also just a two hour (or less) drive from Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, and Birmingham.
Join the UTC team today!
19 jobs with The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, t...
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES IRIS Position # 20002347 The Department of Philosophy and Religion of the University of Tennessee at Ch...
Coordinator of Operations, Campus Recreation – Requisition # 180000005S This position will assist in the coordination of day-to-day...
Assistant Director, Housing and Residence Life – Requisition # 180000005Q This position will lead the educational and administrative efforts for...
Coordinator of Veteran's Student Services, Student Development - Requisition # 1800000060 60% FTE (24 hours/week) This position reports to the A...
Resident Director, Housing & Residence Life – Requisition # 180000005R This position is responsible for the supervision of residence halls to in...
Contracts Specialist, Procurement & Contract Services - 180000004P Description This position is responsible for ensuring University contract compl...
Program Coordinator, School of Nursing – Requisition # 180000004O The purpose of this position is to provide coordination for the SON programs i...
THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA COLLEGE OF BUSINESS DEPARTMENT OF MARKETING & ENTREPRENEURSHIP Position Announcement: Lecturer in Entr...
Assistant/Associate Professor Department of Health and Human Performance IRIS Position #: (50035678) Description: The Department of Health and Huma...
Assistant Vice Chancellor of Communications & Marketing - Requisition # 180000000O The Assistant Vice Chancellor of Communications & Marketing w...
Research Analyst, Office of Planning, Evaluation, & Institutional Research – Requisition # 180000001N The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga...
Social Work Assistant/Associate Professor University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Position # 50310639 The University of Tennessee Chattanooga Soci...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga College of Engineering and Computer Science Department of Civil and Chemical Engineering Assistant Profe...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga College of Engineering and Computer Science Department of Civil and Chemical Engineering Associate/Full ...
Outreach Coordinator, College of Engineering and Computer Science – Requisition # 17000001KJ This position coordinates all facets of recruitment...
Director of the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Marketing & Entrepreneurship, College of
Director of the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Marketing & Entrepreneurship, College of Business - Requisition # 17000001SG This p...
Program Coordinator, Center for Professional Development – Requisition # 17000001SD This position will develop, execute, and manage non-credit o...
Business Manager, UTC College of Business – Requisition # 17000001SF This position will have responsibility in all areas of budgeting, purchasing...