University of Maryland College Park
About University of Maryland College Park
We are pleased that you are interested in learning more about the dynamic career opportunities offered at University of Maryland.
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park, is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community and the world.
There is so much to be excited about at this great University! Today, the University of Maryland is home to three Nobel laureates, seven Pulitzer Prize recipients, and more than 40 members of the most prestigious national academies. Research grant support topped $518 million in 2008, the largest amount in our history, compared to $203 million a decade ago. The 9,000 students starting their first year in the fall of 2009 came in with an average high school GPA of 3.95 and SAT median score of 1295. As our 11,000 faculty and staff know, the University of Maryland is a vibrant community and a very special place to work.
The University of Maryland is arguably the nation's fastest rising university over the past ten years, ascending the U.S. News and World Report rankings from 30th to our most recent ranking of 18th among public universities. The University is also currently ranked 20th worldwide by Ranking Web of World Universities, and 37th in the Academic Ranking of World Universities issued by Shanghai Jiao University. Kiplinger's Personal Finance recently rated the University the "#8 Best Value" in public higher education. Among our other notable rankings and distinctions, the Association of American Universities (AAU) ranked us first among its members in the number of Ph.D.s awarded to African Americans.
Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation's legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, Federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation's capital and surrounding areas.
The University is committed to providing competitive compensation and personal, family, and partner benefits, that for faculty are at a level of our national peers, and suitable for the cost of living requirements of this Washington metropolitan area. The importance of this is emphasized in the University's 10-Year Strategic Plan, Transforming Maryland: Higher Expectations (2008). Our staff compensation plans are market-based in the Washington-Baltimore region, from where we draw most of our professional and support employees. Regular faculty and staff earn generous leave, health insurance, and other benefits, including tuition remission for employees and their dependents, in accordance with employment category and FTE. Our employees also enjoy access to a tremendous spectrum of academic programs, cultural, and athletic events. It's no wonder, then, that the Chronicle of Higher Education named the University of Maryland a "Great Colleges to Work For" in 2008.
As you consider a career with this great University, consider the following core values we have embraced and articulated in the Strategic Plan:
- Excellence: Every part of the institution and every member of the University community shall strive for excellence, from recruiting brilliant faculty and students to keeping the campus beautiful with well-groomed landscaping.
- Diversity and inclusiveness: Maryland's rise in academic stature has gone hand-in-hand with, and been accelerated by, its increasingly diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. We are resolutely committed to fostering dialogue and collaboration among peoples of different backgrounds, orientations, and perspectives and ensuring the respectful treatment of all.
- Innovation and creativity: From the study of history to analyzing voting trends and from developing co-curricular programs to streamlining administrative functions, the Maryland community is determined to be exemplars of innovation and creativity.
- Ethical action: The academic enterprise is based on a commitment to seek higher truths and create knowledge. Honesty and the highest ethical standards will inform all university actions, whether in the classroom, the research laboratory, the playing field, the administrative office, or anywhere else on and off campus.
- Civility and collegiality: The Maryland community is home to a wide spectrum of viewpoints and personalities. The commitment to healthy debate as well as the ability to agree to disagree is vital to Maryland's determination to be a broad, welcoming, and diverse community.
- Openness and accountability: Shared governance ensures that all members of the University family have an opportunity to participate in and take responsibility for its course. A continued commitment to openness and accountability is critical to the University's success.
Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland. With Maryland's stature as one of the nation's premier public research universities, and our exceptional community of faculty, staff, and students, there has never been a better time to be part of this great University.
Cheer the Turtle!
1 job with University of Maryland College Park
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Senior Academic Advisor POSITION SUMMARY/PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Office of Advanced Engineering Education (OAEE) in the A. J...