Southern University at New Orleans ( SUNO ) primarily serves the educational and cultural needs of t...
All About Discovery!...
TempleUniversity is one of Pennsylvania's three public research universities...
Working Title: Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance
Posting Information: Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance
Western Carolina University, a "Carnegie Engaged" University, is seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as its next Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance. In addition to serving as the chief financial officer, the Vice Chancellor provides fiduciary and leadership responsibility for budget oversight, human resources, facility management operations, university police and emergency management. The Vice Chancellor works closely with the Chancellor and other members of the executive team to set institutional priorities and in developing the public/private partnership "Millennium Campus". The Vice Chancellor also serves as treasurer for the WCU Foundation and provides administrative support to the WCU Research and Development Corporation. The Vice Chancellor serves on the University Executive Council along with the Provost, the Chief of Staff, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Chief Information Officer, the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, and the University Attorney. He or she must have the highest commitment to quality performance and integrity as realized within the context of the institution's mission and focus. The Vice Chancellor must also be able to work effectively in a highly entrepreneurial institution and to support an increasingly complex and growing institution.
Located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains approximately one hour from Asheville, WCU is a rural campus enrolling approximately 10,107 students in undergraduate and graduate resident credit and distance education programs. It has a total operating budget from all sources of approximately $185 million and it employs 1,400 faculty, staff, and administrators. WCU offers a wide array of undergraduate and graduate programs as well as doctorates in Educational Leadership, Physical Therapy and Nursing Practice. The university campus is comprised of more than 650 acres including more than 340 acres designated as "Millennium Campus". Although the campus is rural, more than nine million people live within approximately a three hour drive. The region is rapidly developing as a major retirement destination and it offers the highest level of outdoor recreation. Along with its beauty, this region also is highly regarded for its livable communities, strong cultural traditions, crafts, literature, and music.
Minimum Training & Experience Requirements: The minimum credentials for the position include:
- A minimum of an earned master's degree in an appropriate field such as business administration or public administration;
- A strong administrative background that includes at least five years of management at a senior level (managing more than one department);
- The ability to develop and lead a highly effective finance and administrative leadership team;
- Expertise in risk and financial management, budgeting, and financial reporting;
- Experience in facilities, capital and infrastructure oversight;
- A working knowledge of police and emergency management operations;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Consummate integrity and unwavering support for academic freedom and academic responsibility;
- Commitment to shared governance and collegiality;
- A clear understanding of how to work with Information Technology to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of institutional operations including process redesign and simplification;
- The ability to work with the Board of Trustees.
Preferred Qualifications: In addition to the minimum qualifications, it also is preferred that the candidate possesses:
- Experience with fund accounting;
- Knowledge of North Carolina budgeting and finance;
- Knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment of public higher education;
- Familiarity with emerging issues in higher education;
- A clear understanding of, and support for, the mission of an engaged university;
- Demonstrated history of working effectively across many areas of a complex organization;
- The capacity to inspire ownership of institutional progress and transformation;
- The ability to play a critical role in a "high functioning" management team;
- Clear understanding of process evaluation and benchmarking;
- Commitment to diversity among faculty, staff, and students;
- Understanding of the nature of regional development;
- Experience with public/private partnership development;
- A sense of humor.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Candidates are asked to apply online. Hard copy applications will not be considered. Please include a letter of interest, resume or curriculum vitae and a list (include complete contact information) of five references to complete the application process.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for the position is December 1, 2014.
For questions or additional information, please contact the search committee chair, Alison Morrison-Shetlar at email@example.com or 828-227-7495.
All new employees are required to have listed credentials/degrees verified within 30 days of employment. In order to receive educational credit, degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Unless otherwise noted, degree must be obtained prior to start date.
Western Carolina University uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.