Working Title: Research and Instruction Librarian/Undergraduate Experience Librarian
Posting Information: Hunter Library seeks a knowledgeable, intellectually curious, and collaborative librarian to serve as Research and Instruction Librarian/Undergraduate Experience Librarian. Reporting to the head of the Research and Instruction Services Department, this librarian will design, coordinate, and assess learning opportunities and services, including research assistance and library instruction, for undergraduate programs such as first-year composition and first-year experience classes. The person in this position will evaluate the undergraduate user's experience of the library and explore avenues for engaging with partners across campus including the Honors College, Writing and Learning Commons, First Year Experience Programs, and will work to enhance outreach to transfer students and other undergraduate communities.
The librarian in this position will also provide high-quality face-to-face and virtual reference services to all of the library's constituencies at the reference desk and will develop tutorials and research guides based on student and curricular needs. The librarian will also participate in collection development and perform other duties as assigned. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
This is a twelve-month, tenure-track position with 24 days of vacation leave annually. Choice of retirement plans includes Fidelity, Lincoln, TIAA-CREF, VALIC, or the North Carolina state retirement system.
Hunter Library shares an online catalog with two other university libraries that comprise the Western North Carolina Library Network. Western Carolina University is one of the 17 senior institutions of the University of North Carolina and is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Western is a fast growing, regional comprehensive university with more than 10,000 students. It is committed to educational excellence through engaged learning and to each student's personal academic success. The university is located in one of the major recreational areas in the Southeast, situated between the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains. While in a rural setting, the university is only one hour from Asheville and three hours from Atlanta and Charlotte.
Minimum Training & Experience Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
● MLS from ALA-accredited program of library or information science
● Experience providing reference assistance to library users
● Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication
● Knowledge of a wide range of information tools and sources and a creative, persistent approach to finding authoritative information
● Desire to learn and practice the craft of reference in all subject areas
● Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
● Demonstrated understanding of principles and best practices of information literacy instruction
● Ability to work productively, both independently and with a team
● Time management and organizational skills to balance a varied workload, which includes scholarship and service
● Strong commitment to public service
● Initiative to provide outreach to students, faculty, and other constituencies
● Flexibility to adapt and respond to the ever-changing landscape of information services in an academic library
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
● Classroom teaching experience
● Experience providing reference service in an academic environment
● Experience with instructional design software such as LibGuides, Camtasia, and Captivate
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered, applicants must apply online through the Western Carolina University employment website at jobs.wcu.edu. Hard copy application materials will not be considered.
To complete the application process, the following documents must be attached:
1) Cover letter
2) Curriculum vitae
3) A minimum of three professional references with contact information
In addition the following optional documents may be attached:
1) Copy of transcripts
For questions or additional information, please contact Margaret Watson at 828-227-2325
WCU is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution (http://www.wcu.edu/28762.asp). Final candidates for employment will be subject to criminal background checks. Proper documentation of identity and employability are required at the time of employment. All new employees are required to provide official transcripts within 30 days of employment. Degrees must have been awarded by a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
Western Carolina University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.