Utah Valley University is a student centered teaching institution dedicated to building communities of engaged learners. UVU is located in Orem, Utah with satellite campuses in Wasatch County, and at the Provo Airport.
Summary of Duties: Under the direction of the Police Chief, enforces local, state, and federal laws and ensures compliance with University policies. Provides security for personnel, real property, and equipment. Investigates and documents crimes/incidents, documents and preserves evidence, and provides legal testimony. May be assigned to any shift; may perform campus patrol or serve as substation, victim witness assistance, or crime prevention officer.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Enforces Federal, State, College and local laws/regulations.
- Patrols university property, in a vehicle or on foot, to provide security and traffic law enforcement.
- Arrests violators and issues citations.
- Conducts formal investigations of criminal activity.
- Records activity by way of first/supplementary reports and other required forms.
- Testifies in court and at formal hearings.
- Attends a minimum of 40 hours of sanctioned training each year to maintain certification Utah Peace Officer Certification.
- Performs public relations activities to satisfy public inquiry.
- Assists fellow officers at special functions as assigned.
- Handles public assistance calls, such as assisting motorists, investigate traffic collisions, directing traffic, resolving personal disputes, keeping the peace, and other requests of the public.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from a standard senior high school or the equivalent AND P.O.S.T graduate. Applicant must be currently Certified Law Enforcement Officer or certifiable as a State of Utah Law Enforcement Officer. Applicants with contingent offer: will be subjected to a psychological test and thorough background check.
Please read Special Instructions to Applicants carefully.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: 1) Knowledge of Utah Code, local laws and ordinances.
2) Skill in the use of firearms.
3) Interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
4) Knowledge of investigative tactics, information sources, and productive line of inquiry.
5) Ability to operate a motor vehicle in high speed, pursuit situations, and in adverse conditions while maintaining a safe operation.
6) Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group or individuals.
7) Ability to effectively work in highly stressful situations.
8) Ability to maintain control when others may seem to be not in control.
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer.