Utah Valley University is a student centered teaching institution dedicated to building communities of engaged learners. UVU is located in Orem, Utah with satellite campuses in Wasatch County, and at the Provo Airport.
Summary of Duties: Under the direction of the Department Chair, the Assistant Professor - College Success Studies will: create, manage and participate in a variety of learning environments and activities that provide opportunities for students to develop to their fullest potential and achieve their learning objectives; participate collaboratively and professionally with other faculty and staff; promote the general well being of the department, the college and collective and individual interest of its staff and student body; support and seek always to fulfill the guiding concepts for the college embodied in the philosophy, mission, values and vision adopted by UVU.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Develop and teach student development, first year experience, and leadership and mentoring courses using a variety of delivery methods including hybrid and online instruction.
- Plan, prepare, and follow an approved course of study with measurable objectives for each course taught.
- Maintain a student-oriented approach to education.
- Prepare instructional materials including examinations, course outlines, syllabi, visual aids, and presentations, as necessary.
- Instruct and provide effective leadership and classroom management to individuals and groups in regular classrooms and/or computerized classrooms through lectures, discussions, conferences, demonstrations, meetings, individualized instruction and other appropriate teaching methods.
- Evaluate instruction and learning through use of written, oral, and performance tests.
- Maintain and submit accurate, current reports and records regarding student accountability, attendance, performance and follow-up.
- Establish and maintain regular office hours, to advise and mentor students, as well as at other times as needed.
- Demonstrate effective leadership and mentoring knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Effectively mentor students. e.g., in courses, mentoring and degree programs.
- Commitment to continuous professional and personal development and learning and improvement, including maintaining currency in the field by reading and using materials found in professional publications and keeping abreast of new developments, trends and techniques through participation in workshops, conferences, and seminars.
- Develop, demonstrate and actively engage in and pursue scholarly projects and activities, including publishing, and including the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Assist department chair, faculty colleagues and department staff, and advisors in maintaining an effective program.
- Attend faculty and other meetings as assigned.
- Contribute to department, college, and university through dependable work on assigned committees.
- Mentor adjunct instructors of student development, first year experience, and leadership and mentoring courses.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited institution with a doctorate degree in a field strongly related to student development , first year experience, leadership and mentoring, or a closley related field and one year experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: -Knowledge of teaching philosophy based on theoretical framework in education and student leadership.
-Knowledge of appropriate assessment of student learning.
-Skills in recruiting, interviewing and placement of students.
-Skills in assisting counselors and other department heads in maintaining an effective program.
-Proven skills as an accomplished teacher/performer, with a particular competence in teaching academic literacy related courses, career exploration, critical thinking, self-awareness, and study skills.
-Ability to develop curriculum and teach designed courses.
-Ability to develop effective business and educational partnerships at the campus, local, state and national levels.
-Ability to communicate (written and oral) with a wide variety of students, faculty and others.
-Ability to supervise others, including students and employees.
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer.