The Director conducts analytical studies on significant issues in higher education, coordinates various OPAR projects and products, and supports the Associate Vice President in managing various OPAR functions. The Director supervises a small group of analysts.
The University of Wisconsin System is one of the largest systems of public higher education in the country and employs more than 30,000 faculty and staff statewide. The UW System institutions’ combined headcount enrollment exceeds 180,000, and it confers approximately 33,000 degrees each year. The UW System is comprised of 13 four-year universities, 13 freshman-sophomore UW colleges, and a statewide UW-Extension. Two of the universities (UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee) are doctoral degree-granting institutions and 11 are master’s degree-granting comprehensive institutions. The UW System is governed by a single Board of Regents comprised of 18 members. The UW System head is the President of the System. Together, these institutions are a tremendous academic, cultural, and economic resource for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world. Learn more about the UW System at http://www.wisconsin.edu/about/.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration, Office of Policy Analysis and Research is seeking candidates to fill a full-time position of Director of Office of Policy Analysis & Research (OPAR). The position reports to the Associate Vice President for Policy Analysis and Research, within the Academic and Student Affairs division of UW System Administration, located in Madison, Wisconsin.
The mission of the OPAR is to inform UW System planning, policy development, evaluation, and decision making processes. In fulfilling this mission, OPAR's primary functions are to:
• Oversee the collection and management of student, curricular, admissions, and financial aid data from UW System institutions.
• Serve as the office of record and clearinghouse for the UW System Administration (UWSA) on student, curricular, admissions, and financial aid information.
• Provide accurate, timely information and analyses to the Board of Regents, UWSA senior leadership, and UW System institutions.
• Lead systemwide accountability reporting efforts.
• Conduct instructional workload and cost analysis.
• Initiate studies to address emerging national and state issues in higher education.
• Support review and evaluation of UW System policies and academic programs.
• Contribute to the budget planning process.
• Benchmark UW System performance against peer systems and institutions.
• Coordinate and analyze systemwide surveys.
• Respond to state and federally mandated information requirements and other data requests.
Major Responsibilities: The Director conducts analytical studies on significant issues in higher education, coordinates various OPAR projects and products, and supports the Associate Vice President in managing various OPAR functions. The Director supervises a small group of analysts.
Specific duties include:
• Coordinate staff projects and activities including ad-hoc requests, ensuring that projects are completed in a timely manner and include accurate information.
• Review initial drafts of office publications verifying accuracy and clarity.
• Develop analyses, process, or products that support planning and decision making in the UW System.
• Conduct institutional research on a variety of topics in higher education to undertake policy analysis and evaluation.
• Determine the most appropriate statistical techniques, carry out the analyses, and prepare written and oral reports.
• Manipulate large data files and secondary data sources to answer analytical questions.
• Work with other OPAR staff and information technology staff on the design and implementation of data systems.
• Oversee the collection and management of systemwide student, curricular, admissions, and financial aid data.
• Work with the departmental technical staff as the data is collected and edited, ensuring that the data is finalized in a timely and accurate manner.
• Assist staff with the handling of data problems; issues with UW institutions; and other data-related issues.
• Assist the Associate Vice President with staff recruitment, training, supervision, and other human resources-related activities.
• Serve on systemwide committees, cross-office teams, and cross-agency working groups.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master's degree from an accredited institution required.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in higher education required.
• Knowledge of high level programming languages, such as SAS or SQL, required.
• Expertise in statistics and research methodology required.
• Experience and skills in manipulating large relational data bases required.
Well qualified applicants will have:
• An earned doctorate in social sciences, higher education, or statistics preferred.
• Evidence of excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Proven record of building effective partnerships with a variety of constituencies.
• Experience supervising professional staff.
• Experience in large university or system of higher education.
• Ability to develop high quality written reports, analyses, and visual presentations.
• Current knowledge of trends and practices in higher education.
• Knowledge of best practices in the use of technology in institutional research.
• Demonstrated skill in project and team management.
• Critical reasoning using data.
• Experience in research and analysis on financial aid and admissions
• Knowledge of survey design and analysis
• Ability to cope with a dynamic and demanding environment where expectations for performance and productivity are high.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time and meet project deadlines.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity as critical components of organizational success.
The successful candidate must value diversity and be capable of working in a diverse environment. He or she must also be willing to work for the building of a UW System workplace environment that values diversity and inclusion.
Conditions of Employment: This is a full-time, unclassified Limited appointment. This Director position is assigned to Salary Range UWS 8 (currently $72,094-108,140). Salary will be commensurate with the candidates’ qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also included http://www.uwsa.edu/hr/benefits/compest/). Anticipated start date will be within 4-6 weeks of job offer. Special Note: The UW System conducts criminal background checks for final candidate(s).
Pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes, upon request we are required to provide a list of all nominees and applicants who have not requested in writing that their identity not be revealed. Persons agreeing to be final candidates will have their identity revealed as a final candidate.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by Wednesday, November 13, 2013. However, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. To apply, send a:
(1) Cover letter specifically addressing how your education and experience relate to the position and qualifications described above; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) a sample of analytical work or report; (4) the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for five professional references, including at least two supervisory references; and (5) a statement of whether you wish to have your application held in confidence or made available to the public upon request. Please note that in the absence of any statement regarding confidentiality, we will assume you do not wish to have your application held in confidence.
These five documents are to be submitted electronically as a single PDF file in the Upload a New Resume section of the online application process. You will then NOT be submitting individual documents in the Add Attachment or Add References sections of the process. Applications can be completed on-line at the below link:
Questions may be addressed to: Lori Fuller, Office of Human Resources and Workforce Diversity, at email@example.com or at (608) 263-0847.
“The University of Wisconsin is an AA/EEO employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining a community which welcome and values a climate supporting equal opportunity and difference among its members.”