The University System of Maryland comprises 12 institutions, two regional higher education centers, and a system office. USM provides access to excellent higher education opportunities, performs groundbreaking research, offers vital services to communities and individuals, and fuels economic and workforce development. As a public system of higher education, USM advances the State of Maryland and benefits all of society.
Undergraduate Students: 111,255 statewide (139,374 worldwide)
Graduate/Professional Students: 44,618 statewide (44,804 worldwide)
Full-time Faculty: 8,294
Part-time Faculty: 6,150
Academic Programs: more than 1,000 bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and professional
More than 100 locations in Maryland
1,000 buildings, including 19 libraries
Operating Budget: $4.5 billion (FY 2012)
The mission of the University System of Maryland is to improve the quality of life for the people of Maryland by providing a comprehensive range of high quality, accessible, and affordable educational opportunities; engaging in research and scholarship that expand the boundaries of current knowledge; and providing knowledge-based programs and services that are responsive to the needs of the citizens of the state and the nation.
USM fulfills its mission through the effective and efficient management of its resources and the focused missions and activities of each of its component institutions.
Diversity Network Mission Statement
The 12-institution University System of Maryland Diversity Network was established in 1995 to serve as a catalyst to promote a greater awareness of and appreciation for diversity. Today, the Diversity Network works collaboratively with the administration of the USM institutions to meet the increasingly difficult challenges of a diverse world. The foundation of the USM Diversity Network's mission rests upon recognition that diversity must be an institutional priority with accountability measures. The Diversity Network will support the goals of University System of Maryland institutions to:
- Develop proactive measures to ensure equal opportunity in education and employment;
- Promote an inclusive USM community grounded in respect for each individual;
- Foster welcoming campus environments;
- Provide learning opportunities to expand diversity awareness and understanding; and
- Educate students, faculty, staff and external community about the value of diversity and its importance to the attainment of excellence.
More information can be found here
- Bowie State University
- Coppin State University
- Frostburg State University
- Salisbury University
- Towson University
- University of Baltimore
- University of Maryland at College Park
- University of Maryland Baltimore
- University of Maryland Baltimore County
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of Maryland University College
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science