Responsible for management of all activities associated with the campus library including: supervising personnel, maintaining library resources, providing library services, and maintaining an appropriate environment.
• Directs the activities of the library services desk.
• Triages all student and faculty requests
• Manages the library cash drawer, including assisting students with copying/printing transactions.
• Notifies students of outstanding fines.
• Provides reference and research assistance to students and faculty including; on-line database searches, interlibrary loan services, library instruction.
• Coordinates and facilitates loans with other campus libraries within the University.
• Trains and supervises part-time library assistant and student library monitors (where applicable)
• Maintains, updates, and supports library resources including; information management system, circulation / reserve services.
• Collections development for print resources, input in collection development of electronic resources.
• Catalogs materials and provides/maintains authority control.
• Upholds and enforces official library policies and procedures, including overdue items and late charges.
• Triages and provides technical support for problems with library technology such as printers, copiers, computers, etc.
• Orients new students to library services and collections.
• Meets regularly with other library staff on all campuses to suggest changes or report problems.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
• Masters in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited University
• Two or more years of library experience, preferably in a health sciences library or in a health care environment, and including the use of library information management systems, cataloging, reference, online literature searching, acquisitions/collection development, serials management and library instruction.
• Supervisory experience.
• Proven ability to use library automated information management systems.
• Excellent computer skills and the ability to new learn new software programs easily.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of the position:
Excellent written and face-to-face communication skills. Professional demeanor.
Actively seeks opportunities to make contributions vs. passively accepting situations. Goes above expectations to achieve goals.
Recognizes/responds to unanticipated events and requirements. Customer-focused, with demonstrated experience and ability to be flexible with changing priorities, demands and requests. Ability to work independently or with little supervision.
Promotes teamwork, and leads by example, while successfully collaborating across functions and departments.
Demonstrates ability to manage time and priorities.
Synthesizes complex and diverse information.
Trustworthy with unyielding integrity.
Position may be required to travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.