Job Title: Dean/Executive Director
Working Title: Academic Dean, School of Business
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Would you like to work somewhere you can make a difference in people’s lives? Help them better themselves and achieve the next dream in their career? At University of Phoenix, we positively impact people’s lives every day.
University of Phoenix has established itself as a leading provider of higher education programs for working adults by focusing on servicing the needs of the working adult. Apollo Group is one of the largest education service providers in North America and has one of the world’s largest educational social networks. Apollo is building state of art learning platforms in creating a virtual and highly engaging learning experience. We are changing the way people learn and interact via advanced, scalable learning solutions.
The departments within Academic Operations provide a variety of support and infrastructure services for faculty and Academic Affairs staff. These responsibilities include faculty recruiting and scheduling, policy development and oversight, faculty governance, and training opportunities to help our faculty members and academic staff to be engaged and successful.
The Dean will be able to clearly describe and identify the current and future state of Higher Education and drive academic strategies to benefit the student, the employer and the school.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A doctorate degree in an appropriate discipline
- A well-earned and verifiable reputation for delivering relevant programs
- An ability to collaborate with administration and adjunct faculty/practitioners
- An entrepreneurial spirit, an interest in reinventing education
- Experience managing others, P&L and programs
- Demonstrated agility and flexibility; embracing change; and self development
The Dean is responsible for providing administrative and academic direction, leadership, and control for specific curriculum and programs within the School of Business. This position has overall accountability for academic program offerings, curriculum and program design, assessment of student learning, programmatic and/or institutional accreditation related to the college and all related academic components, which include faculty oversight, student satisfaction/retention, academic policy and standards, and program evaluation. This position also serves as a full-time faculty member with the University.
- Serves as a liaison to regulatory and accreditation agencies.
- Oversees all efforts to evaluate, pursue, secure, and maintain accreditation, including programmatic accreditation.
- Collects and maintains evidence to demonstrate compliance with accreditation standards.
- Serves as the liaison with relevant professional associations.
- Manages compliance with reporting requirements.
- Responsible for program design aligned to industry standards.
- Oversees design and development of courses and programs.
- Accountable for establishing and implementing Master Curriculum Agenda and Curriculum Plan in alignment with institutional goals.
- Sets and allocates the program and curriculum development budget.
- Oversees, reviews, and approves the development of new curriculum and revision of existing curriculum in conjunction with University standards.
- Establishes and implements an assessment system for measuring student learning outcomes and program effectiveness.
- Ensures every program has appropriate curriculum mapping and associated assessment benchmarks for measuring student learning outcomes.
- Creates assessment cycle for review of courses and programs aligned to accreditation cycles (programmatic and/or institutional).
- Collects, analyzes and utilizes data for continuous program improvement.
- Engages in program evaluation utilizing programmatic, institutional and industry data for continuous program improvement.
- Coordinates with industry partners to manage industry relations and incorporate industry needs and trends into the curriculum.
- Establishes and maintains connections with industry partners and associations as required for the school/college strategy, in conjunction with the Executive Dean.
- Tracks student placement across industries and careers to understand challenges and opportunities.
- Engages with relevant school/college associations to inform program design, monitor industry trends, and identify opportunities for innovation.
Program Development, Management and Assessment
- Coordinates program assessment, leads new program development/program refreshes, and identifies the need for new courses.
- Collaborates with functional partners to identify trends, review market analysis and determine appropriate program portfolio.
- Identifies resources required to implement programs.
- Develops academic program policies, procedures, and standards in accordance with University academic standards. This includes defining, implementing, and communicating program philosophy and outcomes in conjunction with the University's mission and strategic initiatives.
- Conducts academic policy reviews and renders academic policy exception requests as needed.
- Establishes and monitors standards for the delivery of the academic program throughout the organization. Works with functional partners to ensure the academic programs are delivered accurately and effectively.
- Monitors the academic program quality and progress, as well as modifies and revises it as necessary.
- Identifies emerging academic issues and recommends appropriate program responses to ensure curriculum and curricular resources are current, relevant, and innovative.
- Manages the student experience within the program and college.
- Serves as final escalation point for any student concerns or disputes.
- Identifies the need for student engagement initiatives and works with shared services to implement.
- Provides guidance on student service needs.
- Identifies student training and tutoring needs related to College programs and works with shared services to implement.
- Determines faculty qualifications as appropriate for courses and programs.
- Directs all policies and procedures related to faculty.
- Oversees all faculty personnel matters (e.g., hiring, performance management and evaluation, training, promotion and termination) and coordinates execution with Academic Operations.
- Develops faculty course approval standards, as well as advises campuses in the areas of faculty selection, development, and evaluation.
- Evaluates faculty performance and instructional quality.
- Establishes training and communication expectations and content for faculty.
- Directs and manages the human resources cost, development and growth functions for the department andstaff. This includes reviewing and approving personnel actions including recruitment, selection or promotion of staff, evaluations, salary determinations, and disciplinary actions.
- Develops and implements department budget, goals and objectives in accordance with established University standards, goals, and objectives. Ensures budget goals are met on an annual basis.
- Responds to and resolves faculty, student, and staff issues and concerns, as appropriate to the academic program area.
- Serves as a full-time faculty member of the University.
- Maintains a professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
NOTE: The primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed below. Specific goals or responsibilities will be documented in the incumbent’s performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or manager.
- Doctorate degree in a discipline required from regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum of one or more years of experience teaching and/or administration at a regionally-accredited college or university.
- Minimum of one or more years of experience in a field related to the content of the academic program.
- Minimum of two or more years of experience in a progressively responsible capacity in an education environment directing and/or leading activities organization-wide
- Experience managing P&L is strongly preferred
- Prefer candidates with track record of customer focus and a history of “product” design and development in reaction to customer needs
- Prefer candidates that have started and or revitalized a program(s)
- Prefer those that have an entrepreneurial spirit and a bias toward employer involvement to craft input into programs
- Prior experience in adult online learning in multiple states is strongly preferred
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to serve as a faculty member in one or more of the College’s programs.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking to establish and oversee academic program policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of conceptual and strategic abilities to develop and establish budgets, goals, objectives and activities, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and oral formats
- Ability to effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups
- Ability to effectively present reports and projects, as well as recommendations to executive management and other external parties. Must be able to effectively present research findings and recommendations to executive leadership.
- Ability to convey a professional image, as well as effectively represent the organization as appropriate in its relationship with the business and government community.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge in the areas of academic program development and evaluation, adult principles and practices, and curriculum development, as described above.
- Able to communicate and enforce academic program policies, procedures, and standards to campus and corporate personnel using excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to manage multiple processes and activities simultaneously being results oriented
- Evidence of initiative, logical decision making, and strong program management skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking, political savvy, problem-solving, relationship building, negotiation and anticipatory abilities
- High degree of professionalism, diplomacy and tact
- Strong interpersonal skills, including exceptional communication and collaborative team skills
- Demonstrated experience effectively leading and influencing non-direct reports
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies, including students, faculty, employees, and external parties.
- Working knowledge of personal software packages to perform the functions listed above.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please email email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
Apollo Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity.
Apollo Group, Inc. was founded in 1973 in response to a gradual shift in higher education demographics from a student population dominated by youth to one in which approximately half the students are adults and over 80 percent of whom work full-time. Apollo's founder, John Sperling, believed -- and events proved him right -- that lifelong employment with a single employer would be replaced by lifelong learning and employment with a variety of employers. Lifelong learning requires an institution dedicated solely to the education of working adults.
Today, Apollo Group, Inc., through its subsidiaries, University of Phoenix, Apollo Global, College for Financial Planning, and Institute for Professional Development, has established itself as a leading provider of higher education programs for working adults by focusing on servicing the needs of the working adult. Apollo Group is the largest education service provider in North America and has the world’s largest educational social network. Apollo is building state of art learning platforms in creating a virtual and highly engaging learning experience. The learning platforms which are built as a cloud based (Education-as-a-Service) bring a more scientific and social approach to the learning experience. We are changing the way people learn and interact via advanced, scalable learning solutions.