The University of Montana, a research-oriented, doctorate-granting institution, enrolls more than 14,000 students (including 2000 graduate students) from across the country and around the globe. Surrounded by a stunning landscape, UM is a magnet for top-notch faculty and researchers. THe University recently concluded a capital campaign that raised more than $100 million in private funds for facilities, scholarships and endowed chairs--more than any Montana educational institution has ever acquired in a campaign.
Position Number 420570
Department: ASUM Transportation
Closing Date: Screening begins November 7, 2013. Applications received after 11/6 may be considered.
Work Schedule: Full-time, 10 months/year (Aug. 1st - May 1st), 1.0 FTE
Union Affiliation: MPEA
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, professional development/wellness program
The Associated Students of The University of Montana Office of Transportation (ASUM) is designed to increase transportation options and awareness to the University of Montana campus.
This position assists in supervising 30 plus student drivers; works with the road supervisor and director to train drivers, schedule drivers, assess driving skills, and assess driver’s interactions with customers and other drivers; fills in driving when needed; takes care of scheduling and coordinating all maintenance and repair on the buses; keeps all maintenance and repair records and fuel records; purchases all supplies needed for buses; posts marketing on buses; collects and records all driver time cards; cleans buses and coordinates with the road supervisor. This position requires a strong working knowledge of public transit, diesel engines, and general mechanical knowledge. This position will be the supervisor on duty for night and weekend drivers; will make immediate decisions and respond to phone calls for help on nights and weekends; and will contact Director for emergencies.
This position requires incumbent to develop working knowledge of campus and university policies including University Drug and Alcohol policies for commercial drivers.
- CDL Class B license with airbrake and passenger endorsement
- Must understand the intricacies of public transit
- Must be able to train drivers for a CDL with passenger and air brake endorsements
- Must be able to respond on nights and weekends to all transit emergencies
- Knowledge of or ability to learn university policies including University Drug and Alcohol policies for commercial drivers
- Knowledge of rules and regulations for commercial drivers, ADA sensitivity training, and CPR and first aid training
- Some knowledge of diesel engines and buses is critical
- Ability to keep maintenance records
- Assistance with scheduling drivers
- Ability to communicate clearly with road supervisor
- Ability and willingness to clean buses and bus garage
- Demonstrated strong organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- High School plus public transit experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below. Step 5 "Attachments" in the online application process is where you may upload additional materials. Only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – please also address the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Please provide a copy of your CDL Class B license with airbrake and passenger endorsement
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment
In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References. *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing. Individual hiring departments at UM-M may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).