The University of Montana, a research-oriented, doctorate-granting institution, enrolls more than 14,000 students (including 2000 graduate students) from across the country and around the globe. Surrounded by a stunning landscape, UM is a magnet for top-notch faculty and researchers. THe University recently concluded a capital campaign that raised more than $100 million in private funds for facilities, scholarships and endowed chairs--more than any Montana educational institution has ever acquired in a campaign.
Position Number 000980
Department: University Relations
Closing Date: November 6, 2013
Work Schedule: Part-time, 12 months/year, 0.49 FTE
Union Affiliation: None
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Pro-rated annual and sick leave; Public Employees Retirement (PERS) optional
The mission of University Relations is to serve the public and the University of Montana by distributing accurate and timely information about UM, producing useful and interesting publications, and enhancing the UM brand and overall image of higher education through outreach, marketing activities, e-communications, and social media.
This part-time position provides administrative support to the department; works on special projects as assigned; answers the phone and directing calls; formats and sends news releases to the media; maintains media distribution lists and publishes news releases online. This position obtains publication distribution lists from the appropriate sources and distributes department publications to campus and the public; works on the campus directory by producing the general information pages, working with the publisher to meet deadlines, and producing and editing the departmental and faculty/staff pages. This position coordinates the Centennial Circle Bricks program; assists with the Charitable Giving Campaign; assists with special events, news conferences, recycling, and other duties as assigned. The ideal candidate also is an excellent writer and could produce basic news releases. This employee must be professional and represent the department well at all times.
This position requires incumbent to develop strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, specifically Outlook and Word and basic knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of or ability to learn UM campus and departments and general knowledge of higher education
- Ability to interact with staff, students, and the public in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to assist with public events and keep information confidential
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and the ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of individuals.
- Must work well with staff members, student workers, campus departments and administrators in a team environment
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Must be able to lift at least 25 pounds.
- High school graduation and at least one (1) year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below. Step 5 "Attachments" in the online application process is where you may upload additional materials. Only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – please also address the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment
In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References. *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing. Individual hiring departments at UM-M may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).