The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT) at the University of Michigan has an opening for a position with a focus on assessment and evaluation. The successful candidate will help the university develop the evidence base for effective, efficient educational practices, and help the university elucidate the mechanisms for efficient impact of educational practices. This is a three-year fixed term position with possibility for extension.
The position will have the following responsibilities:
• Contribute to evaluation of and reporting on a major university initiative supporting active and engaged learning, the Third Century Student Learning Initiative
This evaluation is along two dimensions of evidence: 1) educational impact on students; 2) institutional impact and transformation.
• Consult on, develop, and implement plans to develop this evidence base in support of engaged learning grants under the Third Century Student Learning Initiative.
• Help to coordinate the development of the university’s capacity to evaluate student learning and institutional impact of engaged learning more broadly.
• Collaborate with a number of stakeholders including Provost Office staff and the Provost’s Transforming Learning for the Third Century committee, as well as faculty, staff and academic units about engaged pedagogy, curricular and co-curricular development, and assessment of student learning in multiple learning environments.
• Develop and implement programs and events for the improvement of teaching and learning based on evaluation research findings.
• Represent CRLT to the broader U-M and national community.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Job requirements: A Ph.D. completed; 2-5 years experience in postsecondary assessment and/or educational evaluation; ability to work effectively in settings of social and intellectual diversity; demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative methods; strong oral and written communication skills; and sensitivity to teaching and learning needs at a major research university, including both curricular and co-curricular learning environments.
Desired qualifications: Familiarity with the literature on active and experiential learning, experience with large datasets, experience with a faculty development or teaching center.
• Visit the University of Michigan Job Site (http://umjobs.org).
• Search the system with the keyword “CRLT” (the position # is 92920)
• Upload a CV and cover letter as a single document (applicants may upload only one document).
• For questions, contact Mary Wright, Director of Assessment (734-936-1135, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Founded in 1962 at the University of Michigan, CRLT was the first teaching center in the United States. CRLT provides comprehensive curricular and instructional development programs and is dedicated to the support and advancement of teaching and learning at the University of Michigan. CRLT consultants partner with faculty members, graduate student instructors, the academic administration, and students in all U-M schools and colleges to promote a university culture that values and rewards teaching, respects and supports differences, and encourages instructional environments in which diverse students can learn and excel. We are a highly collaborative and productive group, and we look forward to welcoming new staff to our team. For information about CRLT, visit http://www.crlt.umich.edu.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.