University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Associate General Counsel in the Office of Legal Affairs. Reporting to the Vice President and General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel will provide legal advice to UMUC including its overseas divisions, in conjunction with the Office of the Attorney General and under the direction of the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Providing high level advice to staff and faculty on a broad range of matters including contracts, intellectual property, employment, student matters, litigation support, and privacy laws.
• Developing a compliance program including contract compliance for overseas programs and monitoring the performance of legal compliance efforts and related activities while determining new areas of compliance vulnerability and risk.
• Assisting in conducting internal investigations and formal inquiries and in providing training to the UMUC community.
• Undertaking projects relevant to the law and its impact on the operations of UMUC and as directed by the General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel.
• Performing other job-related duties as assigned
Required education and experience: J.D. from an accredited law school, eligibility for admission to the Maryland Bar within one year of hire, and at least eight (8) years of experience performing legal work. Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong analytical skills; an ability to work in a fast paced environment; a willingness to support other attorneys, including training, when needed; and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
Preferred experience: Preference given to attorneys with experience in licensing and technology agreements; drafting and reviewing complex and federal government contracts and grants; experience developing and/or implementing a legal compliance function, or experience working for an institution of higher education.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
Please visit www.umuc.edu/employment for complete instructions for applying for this position. All
submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers an excellent benefits package to include
up to 8 credits of tuition remission per semester, a minimum of 25 days of leave, and a range of insurance
options. For detailed benefits information, please visit http://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/benefits.cfm
Effective April 1, 2013, and going forward, all stateside external hires that apply to and are accepted for a UMUC stateside staff or collegiate faculty position, will be subject to the satisfactory completion of a pre-employment background review. This includes, but is not limited to, employment and education verification and criminal records check.
UMUC – an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University distributes an annual information report
which includes campus security information that is available to prospective employees.