Founded in 1947, University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is one of 11 accredited, degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM). Offering a broad range of cutting-edge classes, UMUC has earned a global reputation for excellence as a comprehensive virtual university and for focusing on the unique educational and professional development needs of adult students. Headquartered in Adelphi, Maryland, UMUC has classroom locations in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, Europe and Asia, and provides award-winning online classes to students worldwide.
As a globally-focused university serving more than 90,000 students worldwide, UMUC offers an unparalleled breadth of programs, each tailored to meet the needs of the marketplace.
UMUC is a USM institution with a significant national profile
- In fiscal year (FY) 2009*, UMUC's worldwide enrollment ranked first among four-year degree granting public universities in the U.S.
- The number of stateside students has more than doubled in the last 10 years, increasing to more than 39,500 stateside students in Fall 2010.
- The Board of Regents projects that UMUC's enrollments will grow by 47 percent in 2020.
UMUC is a world leader in online education
- In FY 2011, UMUC had more than 234,000 online course enrollments.
- Currently, UMUC offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs fully online. In FY 2011, UMUC offered 836 distinct courses online.
- UMUC was winner of the highest honor in Web education, the "Sloan Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming."
UMUC is a global institution
- UMUC's overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 25 countries and territories, enrolling 36,078 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe in FY 2011.
- UMUC received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC's online hands-on labs in information assurance (2010).
UMUC provides higher education opportunities to working adults
- As of Spring 2011, 71 percent of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC's stateside programs were working full time.
- Forty-seven percent of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2010, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC's stateside undergraduate programs was 32 years old.
UMUC is the senior academic institution delivering higher education to our military
- Today, UMUC enrolls 55,000 active-duty military servicemembers, reservists, veterans, and their family members.
- Military Times Edge ranked UMUC second out of 50 for "Best for Vets Colleges." (2010)
- Military Advanced Education (MAE) named UMUC one of the top Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities for four consecutive years. (Awarded 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked UMUC as the fourth largest provider of higher education to service members and veterans who use their federal education benefits. (2010)
*Most recent data available from the Department of Education