The Senior Communications Associate is a key member of University Communications and will support planning and implementation of strategic communications to enhance the university’s reputation locally, nationally and internationally. The Senior Communications Associate is responsible for developing PR plans, media strategies and integrated communications campaigns for key campus constituents, with the goal of promoting UMD as a premier institution of higher learning, research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
The ideal candidate is able to work strategically, as well as tactically to achieve desired results. The incumbent must be media savvy, an excellent writer and experienced in executing media and social media campaigns. He/she will have a track record of media success and measuring results.
An excellent writer and communicator, the Senior Communications Associate produces communications of all types, including press releases, op-eds, blogs, feature stories, media advisories, scripts, newsletters, electronic communications, web site content, and other promotional materials as needed. Additionally, he/she contributes as a writer for university publications and video productions. The incumbent must be fluent in the use of various social media platforms and be able to develop a plan and strategy for incorporating social media into overall PR efforts.
- Provide public relations counsel and ongoing support to assigned academic and programmatic areas campus-wide, including but not limited to communications strategy and planning, messaging, media outreach, social media and special events planning. Mine stories on an ongoing basis, leveraging profiles, events and angles to support broader university messages.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key national, regional, local and trade news media. Execute all aspects of media relations, including story development, media targeting, pitching, and relationship management. Secure media opportunities for university spokespeople and conduct interview preparation and media training.
- Stay attuned to external news events and trends related to higher education, research, and innovation/entrepreneurship, leveraging information for media outreach and other visibility opportunities.
- Remain current with new and emerging technologies and tools that can improve the strategic communications efforts of the university and its campaigns.
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate metrics to evaluate impact and effectiveness of external communications. Inform campus-wide communicators of PR procedures and best practices to encourage communications consistency.
To view complete position announcement, please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/24106.