Deadline: February 5, 2014
Pay Grade: 26N
NATURE OF JOB:
Under general supervision, perform a variety of technical laboratory duties following standard operating procedures. The principal emphasis is on performing various manufacturing operations. Clear thinking and sound judgment are required to perform independent tasks and to provide input on process improvement.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Fabricate composite components, structures, and test articles using vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) and other processes.
• Specific tasks include tool preparation, fabric cutting, layup, vacuum bagging, resin mixing, infusion, and post-molding operations.
• Record manufacturing process and test data according to written instructions.
Provide input into the development and execution of composite manufacturing procedures and process documents.
• Prepare composite samples per test instructions for mechanical testing (including machining, end-tabbing, and strain-gaging).
• Perform mechanical testing of composite coupons, subcomponents, and full-scale structures.
• Maintain manufacturing and testing equipment.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Frequently required to use personal protective equipment (including safety glasses, gloves, and respirator) to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of a high school diploma or GED and up to a year of job-related experience.
• Relevant technical training or hands-on manufacturing experience.
• Perform all duties with high attention to detail and quality, and an emphasis on safety. Ability to use hand tools and woodworking tools. Understand and follow oral and written technical instructions.
• Perform independent tasks as well as contribute to team efforts.
• Ability to be trained in and use standard personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, respirators, etc.
• Basic computer skills with MS Office applications including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Good oral and written communication skills. Experience with machine shop tools (mill, lathe) is a plus.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds with or without assistance. Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials and the ability to accurately discern colors and measure laboratory materials. Requires a valid vehicle operator's license. Employment is dependent upon passing a University-specified medical evaluation related to the use of respiratory protection equipment. Permanent resident or US Citizen required due to funding source.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html