Deadline: Position will remain open until filled
Pay Grade: 34E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Boasting a brand new, state-of-the-art clinical research facility on the developing Science, Technology, and Advanced Research (STAR) campus, the College of Health Sciences includes a complex and rapidly changing teaching, research, and clinical environment. The College includes five academic units and two fee-for-service clinics with third-party reimbursement options. With over 100 faculty, exempt and non-exempt staff, and more than 2,000 students, the College is distinguished nationally for its work in physical therapy, research on chronic disease states, and the lead of a multi-institutional wounded warrior research project. The College has annual grant expenditures totaling approximately $6 million and increasing annually. The College base budget is approximately $22 million and the total annual budget under RBB is $46 million.
The College mission integrates research, inter-professional education, and clinical services, working with a range of other institutions in creating new models for translational research and education. The College is also playing a leading role in reforming healthcare delivery in partnership with key providers (especially the Delaware Health Science Alliance partners Christiana Care Healthcare System, A.I. Dupont Nemours Hospital, and Thomas Jefferson University, but also with other regional research and care providers). Increasingly, the research activities of the College are cross-institutional, cross-disciplinary, translational projects that require sophisticated and often complex inter-institutional coordination. This position must envision and predict future trends, establish goals and action plans to leverage strategic partnerships, and cultivate and maximize influential relationships both inside and outside of the University.
The Business Officer serves as an integral member of the senior management team of the College and is responsible for enhancing the internal organization processes and infrastructure in support of the College’s mission and that of the University of Delaware. Under the direction of the Business Officer, the College central business office provides accurate and consistent reports for the dean, chairs, and federal and state funding agencies, and supports business services in all academic departments. The Business Officer directs, plans, and manages complex and diverse academic and research administrative functions as measured by annual revenue and number of faculty and staff, ensuring compliance with University policies and procedures. The Business Officer provides administrative leadership and oversight of the fiscal affairs, human resources, and administrative activities of the various academic and operational components of the College. The Business Officer acts as liaison with other University departments on behalf of the College and/or Dean. The Business Officer participates with the Dean and internal management in strategic and operational planning and decision making as a member of the central leadership team.
· Advises the Dean on all matters related to the fiscal, strategic and administrative functions of the College
· Provides leadership for business operations and human relations College-wide. Participates in both strategic and operational planning and decision-making regarding various programs.
· Manages fiscal affairs of the College including budget planning, financial analysis, cash flow and policy issues.
· Participates in developing new business, specifically: assist the Dean and Chairs/Directors in identifying new funding/growth opportunities, the drafting of business plans including budgets and cost effectiveness
· Leads in the development of the strategic plans working in partnership with the Dean, Chairs and the University’s Chief Budget Officer; create short- and long-term strategic plans and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
· Directly and administratively supervises assigned staff including hiring decisions, performance appraisals, scheduling, training, employee development, disciplinary actions, and conflict mediation; develops procedures and assigns work tasks to improve efficiency.
· Directs and coordinates administrative functions and enforces University policy for the College in coordination with associated university departments.
· Coordinates and monitors day-to-day human resources issues for the College; participates in faculty and staff human resources decision making in the absence of or on behalf of the Dean, as necessary.
· Negotiates, directs and develops contractual agreements between the College and other constituencies, including the State of Delaware, the Delaware Health Science Alliance institutions, and other hospitals and clinics.
· Works with College units and University offices to facilitate the processing of grants, approve matching funds, develop reports of College awards. Ensure departmental compliance with Federal and granting agency regulations.
· Works with Central and Academic administration to improve financial and grants management processes.
· Monitors and evaluates program/process/policy effectiveness. Seeks best practices and affects changes required for improvement. Implement procedures that foster cost-effective administrative operations for the College.
· Prepares and presents materials to summarize and justify unit/program budget requests, including data gathering/reporting and trend analyses in connection with budgetary formulation and administration. Prepare and present business cases and budget proposals for specific projects or ongoing operational needs to the Dean. Such recommendations have a lasting impact on operations of the College.
· Acts in the absence of the dean, deputy dean, or associate deans on operational and administrative matters; reviews, interprets, recommends, and/or implements College policies; identifies and resolves issues regarding administrative and fiscal matters; develops systems to monitor academic and administrative deadlines; regularly evaluates College administrative systems and services.
· Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field and seven years of progressively responsible professional management experience.
· Experience in finance with an outstanding record of accomplishment.
· Demonstrated leadership ability including strategic planning, team building, business development and change management.
· Advanced analytic, financial modeling and critical thinking skills are expected as are exceptional judgment and initiative.
· Skilled in program planning, examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing innovative strategies and procedures.
· Effective oral and written communication and strong interpersonal skills with evidence of effective interactions with senior administration, faculty, board members and other constituents.
· Proven skills in developing and implementing effective strategic plans, formulating administrative policies and re-designing business processes. Experience in working closely and professionally in and with teams, and in developing staff through effective training and mentoring.
· Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a topnotch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
· Knowledge and experience with financial and budget planning and human resource management preferably in higher education or the non-profit sector.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html