Job Title: College Archivist
Job Code: FP0214
Note: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
Manages the Spelman College Archives. Collects, preserves, and makes available for research the collections of the College and the Women’s Research and Resource Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Develop and implement collection development policy for the Spelman College Archives;
· Implement and maintain a records management program for the College;
· Ensure the adequate and secure storage of all archival records;
· Supervise and carry out arrangement and description practices and preservation activities;
· Supervise and provide reference access to collections while balancing needs of preservation, security and privacy;
· Develop and publish finding aids to the Archives collection;
· Promote the use of the Archives collections and provide information about the collections through descriptive finding aids, exhibits, articles, the web, social media, and other programming methods;
· Work with Women’s Center faculty/staff to carry out its mission around research, community outreach, and advocacy;
· Supervise assistants, clerical, student and volunteer staff in carrying out archival and other functions that support the Archives program;
· Recommend the hiring and termination of support staff;
· Manage the Archives Operating Budget;
· Assist with fund-raising and grant-seeking opportunities related to Archives;
· Assist with college publications relative to Spelman history and serve as resource for gathering and disseminating information about the College;
· Assist personnel, where appropriate, with publications and presentations associated with Spelman Archives collections as well as local and national collections;
· Assist in identifying and acquiring collections that support and strengthen the research of the Women’s Research and Resource Center;
· Assist faculty, staff, students and other researchers in their use of Archives collections;
· Cultivate relationships with potential donors to facilitate acquisitions of personal papers to the Spelman Archives;
· Develop plan to promote the research and use of Archives collections;
· Work with IT to move collections to digital format for web access and develop social media presence to promote collections and activities.