South Texas College
Job Announcement 2014-3029
(Pending Board Approval of FY14 Budget)
Please note that only complete application packets containing
all 5 parts will be forwarded to the Search Committee
Job Title: Faculty – CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Department: Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
Reports To: Department/Program Chair and Division Dean
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Education & Experience
Starting Date: Fall 2013
Closing Date: Open until filled
South Texas College is a comprehensive institution, which places primary emphasis on excellence in classroom instruction. Faculty members are expected to demonstrate and maintain competence in each of the following areas throughout their employment at the College.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Mastery of Subject Matter:
* Demonstrates a thorough and accurate knowledge of the field or discipline
* Possesses appropriate educational/professional credentials to teach in field or discipline
* Attempts to connect subject matter with related fields
* Maintains currency in subject matter through professional development
2. Teaching Performance:
* Plans and organizes instruction in ways which maximize student learning
* Effectively employs teaching and learning strategies
* Modifies instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse students needs
* Effectively employs available instructional technology when appropriate
* Encourages the development of communication skills and higher order thinking skills
through appropriate assignments
* Effectively communicates subject matter content to student
* Contributes to the selection and development of instructional materials
3. Evaluation of Student Learning:
* Establishes and adheres to cogent learning outcomes
* Develops and uses evaluation methods, which fairly measures student progress toward
* Evaluates and expeditiously returns student work to promote maximum learning
* Maintains accurate records of student progress
* Submits final grade rosters and supporting documents according to established deadlines
4. Support of College Policies and Procedures:
* Maintains familiarity with and adheres to College Policies and Procedures
* Fulfills requirements of instructors set forth in the letter of appointment
* Maintains regular office hours to ensure accessibility to students and colleagues
* Prepares, distributes, and submits syllabi and approved course outlines for all assigned
sections in accordance with program, division and College procedures
* Assures confidentiality
5. Participation in College, Division, and Program Activities:
* Serves on College, divisional, and program committees, teams, and task forces as
* Attends meetings and events as required by College administration
* Participates in professional activities which contribute to the educational goals of the
College and its constituents
* Responds in a timely fashion to information requests from College and division
administrators and program chairs
* Fosters and maintains effective working relationships with students, colleagues, and
* Assists the chair in developing, reviewing, and revising curriculum
6. Contribution to the Growth and Enhancement of College Mission and Programs:
* Maintains familiarity with College goals, mission, and long-range plans
* Contributes to planning and development processes through appropriate channels
* Performs professional responsibilities in accordance with pertinent goals, mission, and
plans of College, division, and program
* Supports recruitment and retention of students, including advising
7. Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Must possess appropriate academic preparation
2. Must be able to provide official transcripts and/if transcripts are earned from a foreign teaching institution, then must be able to provide an evaluation indicating that this education is equivalent to or beyond the qualifications required. This evaluation must be from an approved evaluation service
3. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; excellent interpersonal skills
4. Excellent organizational skills
5. Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in a diverse, multi-cultural student population
6. Commitment to the community college philosophy of education
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education must meet the requirements as mandated by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools for the appropriate field of study and degrees awarded at this institution. Each department displays the specific requirements for each position.
* Masters degree from an accredited institution.
* Credentials must meet requirements of 18 graduate hours in discipline.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, class assignments and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to students and respond to questions from individuals as well as groups of students and chairs/directors.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit 1) letter of intention, 2) STC application, 3) resume (no personal information please), 4) copies of transcripts (official transcripts required BEFORE assignment begins) and 5) five professional references with addresses and phone numbers to:
SOUTH TEXAS COLLEGE
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
2501 W. Pecan Blvd
McAllen, TX 78501