One of the fastest growing and most impactful organizations promoting economic mobility in the nation, Single Stop USA (Single Stop) uniquely combines the power of technology and the ingenuity of community partners to help low-income students and families access billions of existing tax credits, work supports and services that go unused each year as a way to help them move up the economic ladder and towards self-sufficiency. To maximize the reach and impact of its work, and to overcome traditional barriers to financing and scale, Single Stop partners strategically with a diverse range of community-based and higher education partners across the nation, building comprehensive fully integrated bridges between low-income households and the life-changing often siloed public benefits and services for which they are eligible. Spun out of the Robin Hood Foundation in New York City, Single Stop has helped over 850,000 families access $2.5 billion in benefits, services and financial aid for themselves and their communities in just the last five years. Single Stop currently operates six sites in the Bay Area and has returned more than $41.1M in total benefits and services to clients in California alone since launching serves in the region in 2008.
Based in the Bay Area, the Regional Director (RD) will join Single Stop at a critical inflection point as the organization continues on an ambitious growth trajectory, building on its proven model and following successful expansion pilot sites across the country. Single Stop seeks an articulate spokesperson and a credible voice in the region who demonstrates an unwavering commitment to radically increasing economic mobility. The RD will grow and leverage the regional network to more effectively and broadly connect low-income people to benefits and services that can move them out of poverty through more effective marketing, improved service delivery, and new partnerships. These ambitious goals require Single Stop to deliver best-in-class grants management, operations and network development services to its funders.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, visionary leader and thinker with demonstrable expertise in programmatic leadership, social service delivery, program operations, performance management, strategy, and organizational design. S/he will bring deep West Coast networks and a sophisticated understanding of the landscape of partners and funders, a successful track record of stewarding funders and identifying and cultivating new partnerships, excellent management and relationship building skills, and a compelling public presence. S/he will also be self-directed, driven, and palpably passionate about building broad, sustainable change, with a style that inspires and compels others to deliver peak performance.
Challenges and Opportunities for the Regional Director include:
• Manage day-to-day operations of Single Stop’s West Coast work including regional financials, local budgeting and fundraising targets, and operations and program performance targets in collaboration with national leadership team.
• Drive growth and sustainability. The RD will serve local head of office for Single Stop USA’s West Coast office and will function as lead in the management of existing funder relationships and the identification and cultivation of other mission-aligned funders from the public, private and philanthropic sectors to broaden Single Stop’s base of support on the West Coast.
• Drive high-level regional strategy to deliver a high performing and consistent network. Facilitate best practice sharing amongst sites and providers and develop improved service offerings, including a major annual network-wide conference. In cooperation with the evaluation department, implement data-driven performance management and oversee effective use of data to improve program results
• Support broad systems change and client-centric transformation that models Single Stop’s potential to dramatically improve outcomes. Single Stop is partnering nationally with large, complex organizations that are broadly realigning their systems and practices to produce far better outcomes for individuals and families. The RD will identify and support partners with the potential to demonstrate the power of Single Stop to transform the way services are delivered, and lead change management to deliver on the promise of the model.
• Oversee and support execution of a comprehensive, year-round evaluation and management schedule for the portfolio of grants each year. Oversee and develop a team of programmatic staff, and work closely with legal, operations and finance staff to continuously improve program administration. Ensure best-in-class service delivery including the development, implementation, and monitoring of program policies and procedures.
• Develop a communications strategy and work to hone and disseminate targeted messaging to raise the profile of the organization in the region.
• Pursue opportunities to identify and cultivate potential champions amongst community, state and regional level leaders from diverse sectors and other organizations and systems. In particular, s/he will focus on deepening relationships across sectors, including technology and financial services, and building support and buy-in for the network to capitalize on opportunities for collaboration.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
• Sophisticated leadership skills and presence developed through a minimum of 10+ years of progressive management experience, preferably in a high-growth, best-in-class organization; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth and excellence; Multi-sector experience and experience working with major corporate, philanthropic and/or academic partners, as well as high net worth individuals, is highly desirable.
• A demonstrated and long-standing commitment to the mission of increasing economic mobility and removing barriers to achievement; the firmly held belief that all people have the capacity to achieve economic independence; affinity for Single Stop’s target populations;
• Ambassadorial presence, credibility and interpersonal skills paired with the charisma and passion to inspire others to invest in new partnerships; experience facilitating groups and networks with a common purpose and shared goals; a balanced and objective perspective that brings together a wide variety of stakeholders, champions and contributors;
• An action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative thinker and leader with savvy for business, sales, and marketing best practices; familiarity with the cultural and operational differences between the nonprofit and for-profit sectors gained through professional experience in both is desirable;
• Vision to see potential beyond the status quo, drive innovation, and move deftly from concept to execution is essential;
• A strategic approach to fundraising, through both direct solicitation and building new relationships and/or constituencies; a passion for cultivating new donor support; an ability to generate new revenue streams and envision the next phase of Single Stop’s growth and development;
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to translate complex data effectively for a spectrum of audiences;
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs as well as experience managing in a data-driven environment with an emphasis on rigorous evaluation;
• A management style that embodies respect, teamwork, and transparency; proven capacity to coach, manage and develop high-performing teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget; an effective manager by indirect influence, who can build and reinforce buy-in and mutual accountability even when geographically removed;
• Passion, idealism, integrity, and the highest levels of professionalism combined with a sense of humor and perspective; and
• Advanced Degree in business, public administration, law or public policy preferred.
This search is being conducted with assistance from Allison Kupfer Poteet and Nureen Das of Nonprofit Professionals Advisory Group. Additional information about Single Stop USA can be found at: www.singlestopusa.org. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please send nominations and/or applications including cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), salary history, and where you learned of the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Single Stop USA is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Single Stop USA is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information see www.singlestopusa.org