Salem State University is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Job Description: Oversee the management of a 354-bed apartment style residence hall, and the development of programs, activities, and policies to improve the overall community within the area. Act as a judicial hearing officer in adjudicating policy violations. Serve as advisor to the Community Council. Supervise, develop, and evaluate zero to one graduate assistant, Resident Assistants, Mail Assistant, Desk Receptionists/Office Assistants. This is a 12 month live-in position with On-Duty responsibilities in addition to weeknight and weekend commitment on a regular basis. The primary goal of this position is to establish a residential environment that is conducive to the academic and non-academic development of students.
1. Academic credentials and/or experience suitable to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Baccalaureate degree and Master's Degree required preferably in Student Affairs or related field.
2. The Resident Director must have relevant student housing/residence life experience with one or more years of live-in experience as a professional staff member.
3. The Resident Director must be a team player and be willing to work with students, faculty and staff.
4. The Resident Director must possess the ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
5. The Resident Director must have a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and success in creating inclusive communities.
6. The Resident Director must have experience with and knowledge of student leadership and RHA organizations.
7. The Resident Director must be able to solve problems and handle multiple tasks and priorities.
8. The Resident Director must have good planning, administrative, organizational, supervisory, and budget-management skills.
9. Familiarity and/or experience with living/learning communities and faculty in residence programs.
10. Excellent written and oral communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.