Salem State University is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Job Description: The Associate Director will be directly responsible for the administration, supervision, and development of a comprehensive fitness and recreational program including intramural sports, fitness, aquatics, and outdoor programming for the university community. In addition, the Associate Director is also responsible for the supervision and management of the fitness center, recreational gym, and multiple studios.
1. Education: Master's Degree in Sports Management, Recreation Management, or related field
2. Experience: minimum 3 years experience working in college / university recreation or related field
3. Certifications from at least one of the following organizations: ACSM, NSCA
4. Red Cross First Aid & CPR/AED Certification
5. Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
6. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the needs of diverse groups
7. Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
8. Physical Effort: Frequent standing and walking, occasional reaching, pushing, and pulling.
9. Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Experience supervising and managing fitness, recreation, sport facilities or related programs
2. Experience in implementing fitness and wellness risk management protocols
3. Member of NIRSA
4. Familiarity with current trends and practices in the wellness industry
5. Experience developing intramural programs
6. Working knowledge of safety/liability consideration surrounding weight training
7. Ability to create documents in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access, along with knowledge of website programming and social media.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter. Three letters of recommendation should be sent to: Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, 352 Lafayette Street, Salem, MA 01970.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.