The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 9722
Writes and prepares written material on a variety of topics such as students, alumni, faculty, campus facilities, academic programs, and/or events.
- Researches and writes news releases, brochures, profiles, announcements, e-news stories and other materials as needed
- Reviews and proofreads drafts prepared by other staff
- Produces material to be used in a number of formats such as print, web sites, and presentations
- Adheres to journalistic standards for fact-finding, research, verification, and style
- May work with other professionals in admissions, marketing, public relations, development, or academic affairs to write brochures or marketing materials
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Communications Publications Writer
Assistant to HEO
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In support of the campus mission, strategic plans, and values Queens College seeks to fill one Communications Publications Writer vacancy at the John D. Calandra Italian American Institute. Reporting directly to the Director for Academic and Cultural Programs at the Calandra Institute, the Communications Publications Writer performs various activities to support the mission of the Institute such as writing and preparing written material on a variety of topics covering students, alumni, faculty, campus facilities, academic programs, and/or events.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates on the production of the Italian American Review.
- Writes and maintains web content for Institute's website such as day-to-day maintenance and updates.
- Work in a collaborative team environment on a wide range of tasks related to the Institute's programs and conferences.
Often referred to as "the Jewel of the CUNY system," Queens College is a place of contrasts: An urban school in a suburban setting, where a large and diverse student body receives personalized attention. This formula has made us one of New York's premier educational institutions.
With a mission to prepare students to become leading citizens of an increasingly global society, we offer a rigorous education in the liberal arts and sciences under the guidance of a faculty dedicated to both teaching and research. Our liberal arts, science, and pre-professional programs earn us high rankings in prestigious college guides such as The Princeton Review America's Best Value Colleges. Our students graduate with the ability to think critically, address complex problems, explore various cultures, use modern technologies and information resources, and have won prominence in nearly every field.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the Italian language and the Italian American community
- Two years of recent professional experience in an College or University environment
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to meet customer needs; demonstrated organization skills; detail oriented and ability to multi-task
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office Products such as Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft/Oracle information systems in a higher education or government
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job postings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number 9722
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
"Please use a simple name for the document that you upload, for example, JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.