Do you enjoy seeing patterns and trends in data…and explaining those patterns and trends to others? Have a keen eye for detail and a drive to analyze? Want to be part of a team charged with providing key University Administrators with the tools they need to make informed decisions? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment? If you’ve answered yes to these questions, the Institutional Research department at Ashford University sounds like a great fit for you! Our office may be business casual, but we’re serious about our data. Are you?
The Research Analyst II position is a full-time employment opportunity. As a valued member of Ashford University’s Planning and Effectiveness unit, the Research Analyst II reports to the Associate Vice President for Assessment and Evaluation and conducts research with the guidance of senior researchers and evaluators. This is a full-time position located in San Diego, CA. This qualified individual will play a critical role in a research and evaluation team whose responsibility is to partner with Ashford University administration, faculty, and staff in using data to drive planning and decision making.
The individual in this position will design and conduct quantitative research and analysis utilizing descriptive and inferential statistical techniques, qualitative and mixed methods research and evaluation, to answer questions that impinge on Ashford’s effectiveness. In collaboration with Planning and Effectiveness unit team members, this researcher will provide in-depth information, interpretation, and recommendations about strategic issues and initiatives that contribute to Ashford’s success.
Essential Job Duties:
• Under the guidance of senior researchers, conduct high-quality quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research and analysis, from conception through final report, to provide insight and actionable results and recommendations.
• Assist senior researchers, as needed, to support complex research, assessment, and evaluation projects.
• Consult with data owners, department managers, and Planning and Effectiveness team members to understand the issue or problem for which research is to be conducted and determine the appropriate research design.
• Conduct literature reviews and develop background information relevant to research projects as needed.
• Participate in data collection activities involving development and administration of surveys, interviews, observations, focus groups, tests, institutional databases, and other methods, as appropriate.
• Collect, clean, and prepare data for analysis.
• When appropriate, extract student level data from the student information system and combine with survey and other types of primary and secondary data.
• Participate in program evaluations with senior researchers, including needs assessments.
• Effectively utilize statistical techniques as appropriate to meet decision makers’ needs; assuring that all assumptions of the techniques are tested and evaluated.
• Create effective displays of quantitative and qualitative information.
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met.
• Positively contribute to the Planning and Effectiveness unit’s research and evaluation team discussions and projects to assure innovative, high-quality research.
• Effectively collaborate with administrators, faculty, and staff who use this unit’s services and other departments that provide analytical support and applications development.
• Participate in professional development to assure currency and continuous skill enhancement relevant to institutional needs.
• Adhere to professional research and statistical protocols and standards in support of high quality research.
• Adhere to data confidentiality and security standards and protocols.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
Knowledge & Experience
• Good understanding of descriptive and inferential statistical techniques and their appropriate use and interpretation.
• Demonstrated expertise with statistical techniques and their application to practical problems.
• Experience preparing data for analysis and using data management techniques, e.g. cleaning, coding, processing, classifying, storing, and documenting.
• Demonstrated expertise in using statistical analysis and data mining software packages such as SAS, SPSS, Tableau. Prefer experience utilizing large, complex data sets extracted from enterprise systems.
• Ability to use data and research to answer applied questions, select appropriate technique, use data visualization and presentation methods appropriate to the audience, and effectively communicate recommendations.
• Ability to consult in advance with users of the research to understand their questions and problem the research is intended to address.
• Ability to productively contribute to research team comprised of members with varying levels of expertise and methodological backgrounds.
• Familiarity with common data confidentiality and security protocols.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Strong technical documentation skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Independent thinker; Team player.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Employment experience in higher education, preferred.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Looking for additional insight on this specific role? Not sure if the job is for you, but know someone who sounds like a perfect fit? Email us at: TalentAcquisition@bpiedu.com  and someone with the inside track would be more than happy to be a resource for you!
• Master’s Degree required.