The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 7137
Administers one or more aspects of Library operations and coordinates Library services.
- Assists faculty, students, and librarians to evaluate their needs and locate appropriate materials on a timely basis
- Participates in developing collections and acquiring materials in all formats and media
- Reviews Library usage patterns and makes recommendations regarding services; plans and conducts training and outreach activities
- Assists in developing and monitoring Library policies and user service standards
- May oversee a Library unit such as Circulation, Cataloguing, User Services, Reserve, Stack Maintenance, Reference, and Acquisitions
- Supervises and/or trains staff, students, and others assigned to the Library
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Library Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
- Manage all aspects of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Document Delivery (DD) services, and maintain awareness of Interlibrary Loan specific software and hardware platforms (i.e. ILLiad, Odyssey, Ariel, IDS).
- Train, supervise, evaluate and schedule ILL/DD support staff, and coordinate and execute Borrowing and Lending workflow in ILL.
- Monitor and evaluative statistical data and develop initiatives to assess and improve ILL service.
- Work directly with OCLC ILLiad customer support to customize existing and upgraded software.
- Work with IDS to partner with other institutions in increasing shared resources.
- Customize, refine, design, document and implement ILL/DD workflows using ILLiad software and IDS community developed add-ons for the greatest staff efficiency and the highest level of service to users.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with vendors and partners for ILL/DD services. In cooperation with Head of Library Systems, coordinate upgrades, identify, evaluate, recommend and implement hardware/software enhancements.
- Collaborate with other library staff in Access Services and Acquisitions to facilitate effective workflows and user service.
- Maintain ILL policies and procedures in keeping with CUNY copyright guidelines and student and faculty needs. Maintain an awareness of copyright issues that may impact ILL/DD services. Confer with supervisor and Copyright Coordinator to resolve complex problems regarding copyright compliance.
- Maintain a working knowledge of best-practices and participate on CUNY ILL committees.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required; MLS degree or Master's in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the experience requirement.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated project management experience, excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, diverse, academic environment. The applicant will also have experience designing workflows, supervising staff, coordinating staff schedules and assignments, interpreting policies and procedures, resolving problems and maintaining user satisfaction.
- Experience with ILLiad, Aleph, Odyssey, Ariel, IDS
- Reading knowledge of at least one modern European language
- Experience using spreadsheets
- Minimum of three years library experience; at least one year of academic library experience
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- Demonstrated problem solving and supervisory skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with library automated systems
$42,873 - $51,195
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your resume or curriculum vitae and cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. The resume, cover letter and any other required documents must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
The committee will begin reviewing applications on January 31, 2013. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.